Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 22nd, 2015 10:00

Iphone headphone Mic on XPS 13 9343 Laptop (2015)

I have a new XPS 13 and I am getting frustrated with the sound setup for services like Skype. The XPS 13 is a killer laptop but it makes no sense why the headphone jack (which has a headset w/ mic picture next to it) doesn't work with Apple Headphones w/ a mic YET it works perfectly with Skull Candy headphone with a mic - essentially the same hardware with the same plug and specs. Whats frustrating is that the Realtek Audio console appears to caterer to Skull Candy as you can actually pick exactly what model your using.

From what I can see Dell is purposely making it impossible for users to use Iphone headphones with mics. I should be able to plug in any earbud/mic combo and just have it work. Has anyone else had this issue? 

• 

351 Posts

October 23rd, 2015 05:00

Hi Makij,

Apple headphones are specifically designed for use in Apple products. I believe the volume control and microphone paths are Apple patents with specific values to allow for specific functions when connected to their devices. Apple headphones are also wired differently from general headphones. This is potentially why you're finding problems when trying to use their headphones in your XPS13.

Headphones made by other manufacturers work within the general specifications of headphones, which is why the Skull Candy headphones work fine.

2 Posts

October 23rd, 2015 09:00

That makes total sense. Thanks for the info. 

No Events found!