Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 8th, 2012 04:00

Is it possible to downgrade USB3 to USB2 using a generic driver ?

Dear sirs,

At a matter of utmost importance I ask this question.

In all seriousness I have been told that I can downgrade the USB3 ports to USB2 by using a generic USB2 driver.

Firstly is this actually possible ?

Secondly if the first is true (I don't believe it myself) how is it possible.

The reason for writing is that a product I use Bluescreens every time when using the USB3 ports. Their "tech support" says i should downgrade the port to USB2 by using a generic USB2 driver.

PLEASE REPLY, even if it is to say it's not possible, thankyou.

This is extremely important.

Mark Stewart

CCNA, CCDA

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 8th, 2012 04:00

No, it's not - the USB 3 port requires a driver written for a USB 3 controller.  Until recently, these were always add-on chips - not natively supported by the system chipset.

If you need a USB 2.0 port, use that.  

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 8th, 2012 12:00

USB3 is downward compatible to USB2 and USB1.

There is no such thing as USB2 downgrade driver. That is nonsense.

August 8th, 2012 12:00

Can I please have this confirmed by Dell.

This is a really serious matter as Native  Instruments (German audio company) is telling all it's users to do exactly this. I know it's not possible but i need it confirming from someone officially to stop them spreading miss-truths. I have been trying to resolve this issue for a long time (first reported to them over a year ago, but they ignored me). Now because a similar fix was given to  Apple retina users, they are telling every PC user to so the same.

PLEASE DELL COMMENT ON THIS IS REALLY SERIOUS NOW.

They are not going to change their drivers blaming USB3 and Dell for the problem.

I think if they admit it's their problem they will face a class action or demands for a buy back as it's their flagship products that are affected.

Thanks for your time.

August 10th, 2012 01:00

I know this, but the problem lies in their USB2 design, they use a feature that is not supported under the current USB3 specification to do with audio streaming.  They are stupidly telling users to downgrade to USB2 (they don't say how though). I've been tech support myself for many companies and over 20+ years, so it came as surprise to see them suggesting this.

I need this confirming by Dell to get them to stop young kids with no knowledge hacking registries, forcing drivers in etc.

USB3 isn't completely compatible with USB2/1, and Native Instruments have found one of those features.

Can someone with a bit of pull get Dell to comment, maybe Terry B ?

A simple "this is not possible" would suffice, and then it can be referenced by URL as they seem to like doing.

Recently they blamed Alienware for the problem quoting the random disconnects when connected to WD drives ... (the one that was fixed by flashing the WD drive!!)

As i said this is a very serious matter as all their products bar 2 are affected and they are not helping anyone by blaming Dell and suggesting stupid things like "use a generic USB2 driver for the USB3 port"

1 Message

October 9th, 2012 18:00

I can confirm what Mark Steward is saying about Native Instruments, I'm having the same exact issue.

What is actually recommended  (by NI and other users) is to uninstall (via Programs & Features) the Intel USB3 host. The idea is that the system will, in absence of USB3, revert to the generic Microsoft USB2 drivers. 

From what I can see in the NI User forums, this approach seems to work for _some_ hardware setups. It didn't however work for me. As soon as I uninstall the Intel drivers, no USB device works after a reboot, including the mouse. Simple enough fix is to first download the drivers so that they can be easily reinstalled.

Nevertheless, the approach didn't work for me. Hence the question if there is a way to install those generic USB 2.00 drivers that the system is supposed to revert to manually.

If anyone is interested in the whole discussion, one prime example can be found in the NI User Formus at:

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173508&highlight=usb 

No Events found!