Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 10th, 2016 13:00

Is this screen quality normal for XPS 15 9550?

Good evening.

Last month I bought XPS 15 9550 with a 4K screen and it had red tint in the corners of the display panel, which was visible in a light room with me sitting right in front of it. I thought I got a defective unit and arranged a replacement through Dell Customer Support and yesterday I received a new one. However, it has exactly the same problem. To make clear what I'm talking about I'm attaching a photo of the screen. Black background, no external light sources, medium brightness.

While a smartphone's camera exaggerates this effect a tiny bit it is still very noticeable to me. I don't even talk about ghosting and viewing from above/sides when black completely shifts into red, honestly I could live with it, but colour distortions at this angle... Am I expecting too much from a £1,800 laptop? Is it worth it to try another replacement?

March 10th, 2016 18:00

Not normal. RMA it and hope for better luck.

2 Posts

March 11th, 2016 12:00

I talked to a Dell Technical Support representative today and decided to get a refund (they did not offer another replacement anyway). He also asked to email the screen's photos as it's not the first time people complain about it. I did it, so hopefully they will either stop using Sharp IGZO display panels or improve the Quality Control procedures to reject faulty units. And I'll just buy some other laptop :)

No Events found!