Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 14th, 2013 16:00

Jittery, shaking or vibrating screen

Hello all,

I have a new XPS 12 9Q33 and apart from the 'normal' issues I have experienced with the Intel Rapid Start I have this other problem. Occasionally the screen starts shaking. It happens in spurts, as in it's not happening now, but once it starts it will continue for a little while and then stop. It's not disabling jitter but it's annoying. 

Has anyone else experienced this or able to provide some advice. I'd like to get this solved soon in case I have to send it back!

Many thanks,

Matt 

18 Posts

September 9th, 2013 09:00

Hello,

It's looking like some hardware is going to need sorting isn't it. It's quite regular now. What is the process for getting something like this sorted. Is there a store in London or does it need to be packaged and sent?

Thanks,

Matt 

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

September 9th, 2013 22:00

Hi Matt,

Thank you for going through all the steps.

There's one question though, did the screen flicker when the computer was in BIOS? If not, then it could be a software / driver issue. Uninstall the video driver from the computer and then download the one from our support website by clicking here and install it. Install the first driver as highlighted in the image below:

Observe the computer after re-installing the drivers and check for jittery screen. If the issue still persists, then private message me your Service Tag number along with your name, phone number, email, best time to reach you, complete physical address along with zip code where you reside and the account name under whom the computer is registered.

To send a private message, click on my name and then click on start a conversation on the right hand side. Depending on your warranty type, I will review the details and let you know if we can send a tech out or send a box for you to ship the computer to us for repairs.

Note: Do not post any of your personal / official information here on the thread as its an open forum.

Appreciate your co-operation.

18 Posts

September 10th, 2013 15:00

Hi it would seem it is definitely a hardware issue now. I left my laptop on all day in BIOS on and the result was as shown in the video. I'm sending a PM now, thanks.

September 11th, 2013 10:00

I have been having the same problem & the Dell tech folks had me try all the things listed in this conversation, to no avail.  However, when I use an external monitor there is never any problem at all -- no quiver, no flickering, even while the primary screen is going nuts.  We have a call scheduled for Friday when a tech wants to reinstall the operating system; judging by what I see above and elsewhere, that's only going to mean a couple of days reinstalling all the updates and my software afterward.  Because of the external monitor being fine, I believe that it's a hardware issue.

18 Posts

September 11th, 2013 10:00

HI Daniel. 

Try the BIOS thing. I just left it on all day. A few hours was not enough, but when I got home after a day at work it was as in the above video.

Please note that the laptop will not charge in BIOS mode!!!

HTH

Matt

September 11th, 2013 12:00

Thnanks Matt,

I can try that in a couple of days ... right now I need the machine to get my work done, so I'm tolerating it & relying on the external monitor.  As well, it's an intermittent problem which makes troubleshooting a challenge.

D.

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

September 12th, 2013 01:00

Hi Daniel Laskarin,

I did read your post and seems you have the same issue as well like Matt. All I would request you is since you are already in touch with Dell Technical Support, continue troubleshooting with them and they would help you in resolving the issues on your computer. For any instance, if the issue still persists please let me know and I shall try my best to help you out here.

Appreciate your patience and co-operation with us.

No Events found!