Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 5th, 2010 14:00

Jumping Cursor

I have a new DELL Latitude E6400 with Windows 7. When I am in any application typing away my cursor just jumps to a new area. Very frustrating. If this sounds like a driver problem what type of driver? Thanks

5.2K Posts

January 5th, 2010 18:00

This is caused by your hands brushing the touchpad while typing. Go to the touchpad control panel and look for settings to minimize this. If you can't get it improved, search for a newer driver for your brand. You sometimes can use drivers for other models than yours; some drivers have more features than others. If you have an ALPS pad, go to the Toshiba site and look for a newer driver.

11 Posts

January 6th, 2010 13:00

Go to Control Panel, Hardware, Mouse.  Go to the touchpad tab.  Many touchpad drivers allow you to DISABLE the touchpad or automatically disable it when a mouse is plugged in or when typing.

2 Posts

January 6th, 2010 16:00

Thanks. That was the trick. Touchpad is now disabled.

4 Posts

July 7th, 2010 01:00

I hate to be argumentative but no it is not caused by hands brushing the touch pad. Diabled pad and still same issue.

1 Message

March 17th, 2012 10:00

The jumping cursor issue still exists or has returned and is now on the Dell Precision Workstation M4600 laptops. I now have 2 Dell M4600 workstations both with the same issue.

After repeated calls to Dell small business technical support (50 calls - no fifty is not a typographical error) I am still having the same jumping cursor.

I, however, must say that I am impressed with Dell's on-site service group as they jumped on the report of a non-working workstation by sending out a tech to my office twice plus one other time when I was on a Client site 280 miles from my office.  This time the motherboard died on a workstation laptop that was less than 3 weeks old!!!

I have been in touch with various managers/supervisors and I supposedly have been escalated now to the R E C (Resolution Expert Center) but I have not heard back from them.  I have gotten telephone numbers and have left numerous voicemails (professional & polite) but have not had any representatives from Dell return my call in the last 8 days.  The pro tech support only works 5 days a week and from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. CST.

Is anyone else experiencing this jumping cursor issue?

I am not asking too much . . . all I want is a properly functioning M4600 workstation.  Since the workstations cost over $2000.00 I don't think I am asking a lot.

Please reply,

2 Posts

March 20th, 2012 14:00

I too have this problem.  My mouse will "click" on emails in Outlook or select folders in Explorer when I'm just looking at the screen.

My laptop is in a port replicator so I use an external keyboard, mouse, and monitor.  My laptop is closed.  It does not happen when it's undocked.

I have the latest BIOS, video driver, and touchpad driver.  I tried changing the mouse from the standard Dell USB mouse and keyboard to a Logitech USB mouse and keyboard.

2 Posts

May 25th, 2014 20:00

I have the jumping cursor, as well. I have an Inspiron 1764.

2 Posts

May 25th, 2014 20:00

It is not caused by touching the touchpad.

No Events found!