Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 11th, 2014 12:00

Jumpy Mouse Arrow with Dell Precision M3800

Got an issue w/ a new Dell Precision M3800 + HD 3100 Dock.  My issue with with the mouse pointer.  After using the laptop for 2-3 hours, I'm getting an issue in which the mouse pointer will jump over text boxes (does this in any browser, when trying to click in the formula field in excel, even when clicking in this dialog box to type).  Basically what's happening is the mouse pointer thinks the text box is higher than it really is.  So, if I go up to the address bar from under, as I pass over the bar, the arrow changes to a text cursor, but jumps above the actual address bar...if I click, I c*an type in the bar.  If I keep going, eventually the arrow pointer will come back, but it will jump back down to the actual top of the address bar.  In the case of typing in this box for posting, in order to get the cursor here " ", I have to click where I have the star above (in the word "can").  It just seems like something is very out of sync, and I'm thinking it has to do with the graphics card or some resolution setting.  I have an Acer V246HL set to 1920x1080 + a Viewsonic VA2746M set to 1920x1080 as well.  Only fix I've found so far is to reboot.  I've messed around with the resolution numerous times.  This issue only appears when connecting multiple monitors (which is a necessity).  I did not have this issue w/ my previous laptop, which leads me to think this is not a monitor issue either.

Any help is appreciated.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

December 11th, 2014 20:00

Hi leathjm,

It seems to corrupted drivers of mouse or touchpad. I would suggest you to consider first installing the touchpad drivers. Please enter your service tag # on the link below and click on ‘Get drivers and downloads’ then download the touchpad driver from ‘Mouse, Keyboard & Input Devices’ section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Also, I would advise you to download and install the ‘TouchFreeze’ software from the link below and check for issue resolution.

http://bit.ly/oS0Hd

Please let me know if this helps.

1 Message

December 16th, 2014 12:00

Hi,

I have the same bug with the same computer.

I re-install the driver but same probleme.

I work with two NEC MultiSync  monitosr and  the laptop touch screen.

At home I have  the probleme with only one ,onitor and the touich screen.

I have the probleme with differrent mouse.

If I modify (uncheck than check som parameter in the MOUSe in Configuration panel, the problem disapear  temporaly, than come back  later.

3 Posts

December 16th, 2014 14:00

Reinstallation of drivers did not work.  Installation of touchfreeze also did not work.  The only "fix" I've found so far is to go into the mouse settings, and select/unselect "Enhance Pointer Precision".

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

December 19th, 2014 07:00

Hi leathjm,

Considering the issue is fixed. You can disable the "Enhance Pointer Precision" as the current settings are working fine.

3 Posts

December 22nd, 2014 14:00

I should have been more clear in my response.  This is "fixed" but only temporarily.  If I do the above action, it is fixed, but only for a bit....eventually the issue comes back in which I have to make those modifications to the mouse again to correct.  It is not permanent in any way.  For what was paid for this laptop (we bought 12 of these), I'm getting increasingly aggravated with the quirks and tempted to make the recommendation to return and look elsewhere.  However, I will give Dell technical support one more shot.  It can't be a hardware issue, as the mouse still "functions".  It's absolutely a software issue, and I believe it has to do with a conflict between the video card and mouse drivers.

Again...issue is not fixed.  Having to turn settings on and off throughout the day in order to get proper function is not a fix.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

December 27th, 2014 22:00

Hi leathjm,

I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the video card driver first and then touchpad driver from Dell website as these drivers are tested on the Dell system. Please follow the steps mentioned below to uninstall the video card.

1. Open the charms bar by moving the mouse to right top corner of the screen and in the search box, Start typing devmgmt.msc and then press enter.

2. Select the Display adapters listed and right click on it.

3. Now select properties.

4. In the properties window, under Driver tab, click on Uninstall button.

5. Check “Delete the driver software for this device.”

6. You want to delete the driver click OK.

After the uninstall finishes restart the system. Then reinstall the Intel video card driver first and then discrete video card driver on the system for issue resolution. Please enter your service tag # on the link above, select the OS, then download the video card drivers from Video section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps.

No Events found!