Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 5th, 2017 08:00

KeyBoard Backlight stopped working - DELL INSPIRON 15 3542

Hello everyone ! 

My keyboard backlight was working fine since I bought the laptop , but then one day it just stopped working.

I've pushing F10 as always to turn on the light , but nothing happens

I've gone to windows mobility to see if there is something to do , but the keyboard back light options are not there, and the CAPS LOCK light is always working , I don't understand ? 

Please if you can help me out with this , because I need this feature considering that I'll my work is at night.

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

September 5th, 2017 13:00

Check your BIOS settings to see if you can configure backlight illumination there.  And if you haven't already, try Fn+F10 rather than just F10 in case you changed your Function lock so that the F keys act as F keys by default rather than performing the function shown on their icons.

3 Posts

September 5th, 2017 15:00

Hi , thanks for replying on my question , but I tried all what you said but nothing worked ! the F10 is working fine when I push it while using it as shortcut on some softwares or even while saving on the BIOS ! and yet the other F keys are working fine , for example the F11 and F12 are doing the jobs of increasing/decreasing  the screen light etc..

I tried the BIOS , but there is such us option to configure the keyboard backlight !

I don't know the the backlight is working only for the CAPS LOCK key with that small circle inside it !

I'm really confused !

Thanks for your help !

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

September 6th, 2017 07:00

Thank you for your message.

Try reinstalling the quickset application from this link http://dell.to/2gG9Yos & complete all Windows updates & restart the computer to check if this works.

If there is a hardware issue, it could be the keyboard backlit connector.

If the warranty is active, this can be replaced under warranty.

Please click on my Dell username & send a private message with the service tag, registered name & email address.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 7th, 2017 14:00

If it's the ribbon cable attached to the keyboard that's damaged, you will need to replace the keyboard.

www.parts-people.com/index.php

3 Posts

September 7th, 2017 14:00

Hey , thank you :)

Well , I tried the program you advised me but nothing worked !

Ehhm , I think it is the connector , I opened the keyboard , and I found that the top of that little ' ribbon ' is split to two parts in the top of it , but that little copper wires are attached to the top , so the cut is in the bottom of that ribbon !

I tried to fix it by using a stick , because the wires are not cut , it just the ribbon which won't affect the whole stuff , but nothing happened !

So that was it , I think this is the problem , so if I want to replace it , can please refer me to an online store which have the same product ? or just give me the reference of it  ?

Thanks.

No Events found!