Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

September 12th, 2015 06:00

Keyboard not working following recent windows 8.1 upgrade

I recently took the normal option to update windows and restart. Unfortunately this has disabled my keyboard. I recall having similar issues last year but as the system was only a couple of months old this was rectified by dell remotely. Can somebody pleas help. Microsoft have suggested the keyboard driver may need updating but I can't find how to check tat on the dell site. I have an Inspiron 7537

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

September 12th, 2015 23:00

Hi martinjg,

I would suggest you to connect an external USB keyboard to the system and check if it works.

Please follow the steps mentioned in the link below to refresh the Webcam drivers for issue resolution.

1. Press Windows key and start typing Device Manager.
  2. Open Device Manager by clicking on it.
  3. Click the arrow to the left of Keyboards
  4. Right-click keyboard listed.
  5. Click Uninstall.
  6. Confirm the uninstall process by clicking OK.
  7. Once uninstalled, restart the computer. 

7 Posts

September 13th, 2015 13:00

Thanks for the guidance. However when I click to the left of keyboards it does not not say "keyboard listed" but gives me two

HID Keyboard Device and PS/2 keyboard

Any ideas? USN keyboard is working ok

7 Posts

September 15th, 2015 06:00

Worked it out thanks. realised one was the usb keyboard and by unplugging it, it was obvious which was the laptop. Works fine now. Thanks for your help. How are you on Windows 10 upgrade. I had horrendous problems with black screening during the install. Microsoft eventually did it but on the normal windows upgrade locked me out. Eventually managed to get back to 8.1 but without any help from them. In fact they washed their hands and said I should use an image from when I installed it. Won't give you all the details, suffice to say I wasn't impressed. For the few days I had windows 10, I have to say I was impressed.but I am loathe to try again as it appeared as though the install has not been properly tested.

No Events found!