Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 19th, 2012 12:00

L401X overheating due to design failure

I am a royal user of dell. All my desktops and laptops are from dell. I even recommend dell to my friends. However this time I am so disappointed.

I purchased a xps l401x two years ago, because it was said to have optimus technique. In these two years, it frustrated me all the time. Whenever I loaded the nvidia 420m, for games or gpu computing, it would go overheating rapidly, no more than 5 mins. The temperature went above 75℃ or more and the gpu would be forced idle. I thought it was designed so and never really used it for these two years, until today. I found in dell community that replace the OEM thermal grease with some premium one would help. I desided to have a try. When I open the Processor Fan and Heat-Sink Assembly, I was totally shocked. There was NO thermal grease on the nvidia gpu chip. No wonder gpu went overheating all the time. Then I replaced the thermal grease on the intel cpu and added it on the gpu as well. When I turned it back on, the gpu temperature never went above 60℃ with 99% gpu load for a long time.

It must be a design failure if no thermal grease on the gpu. Otherwise, dell sold me a defective product. It feels like you bought a turbo car but drave for years without turbo because the turbo got overheating. Dell must do some thing like investigating this model or having them recalled. An offical public report for this problem is appropriate.

1 Message

February 10th, 2013 23:00

I totally agree. They should do some thing for this. It is like we waste money for the laptop. We promised to get this High performance but we don't due to this issue. This Laptop top supposed to be one of the best around when you look to it specifications but but always fail to show off.  

Bader

3 Posts

March 14th, 2013 13:00

Hey JIAXI...i am an another depressed user of XPS L401x..i've been using it since past two years..lately my xps is heating like hell, like my machine gonna explode any minutes now...:( :( ..  I found your post quite usefull...but i have no idea how to put thermal grease on the gpu/cpu chip.
  Please direct me to any such link that explains how to open heat sink assembly of L401x and apply thermal grease on the chips... Please Help...!!!

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

August 16th, 2013 21:00

I have this overheating problem for years and practically my machine is unusable, after reading this post, I bought thermal grease and decided to change that by myself. Unlike your experience, it was grease on my CPU and GPU. I changed that by the way but it solved the problem for only one month and it is again overheating.

My friend has dell XPS L501x which is the 15" size of our machine. I saw no sign of overheat (not even heat) in his machine. I conclude that there is certainly a design failure in this model of laptop.

No Events found!