Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

July 19th, 2017 01:00

L502X crash with HDMI

The jpeg attached to this post shows examples of the screen after the PC crashes while using HDMI for an external monitor.

The crashes only happen when the HDMI is connected directly to the PC.  The crashes happen on at least two different external monitors.

It has never crashed like this when using the wireless Push2TV for an external monitor or when just using the laptop's built in monitor.

It happens frequently with
mouse movement
animated solitare cards deal
interactive maps online
exiting full screen of windows slideshow
opening windows explorer. 

It never seems to happen when it's just sitting on its own. 

After it freezes, usually the fan runs harder and the hard drive LED continues to indicate activity.

I have waited more than an hour before and it never recovers.  It has to be powered off manually in order to reboot.

Any ideas?

Hardware:

XPS L502X

Intel(R) HD Graphics Family 
NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M

1 Attachment

35 Posts

August 2nd, 2017 11:00

I've got the time for an install now, so I 'm going to use Dell's driver first.  I'll keep in mind the Depot suggestion.

Thank you for all you've done!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 2nd, 2017 16:00

johnemig,

Download and install Resplendence Software - WhoCrashed

Click on Analyze. Scroll down when prompted and the reason for the crash will be listed, it may be a driver issue.

Rick

35 Posts

August 8th, 2017 18:00

Thanks for the crash tool.

WhoCrashed Conclusion:  

5 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites.

nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 285.77 , NVIDIA Corporation)

Looks like we were on the right track.  

The new Dell suggested driver for the nVidia GPU is now installed as of last week.  I haven't used the HDMI yet though.  Seeing that driver identified by WhoCrashed, I'm encouraged to try now.

:: fingers crossed ::

35 Posts

August 9th, 2017 13:00

After successfully using the computer for about a week with the new nVidia driver obtained via Dell's website

but without an external monitor, I booted it today with an external monitor attached for the first time.  After Windows loaded, Windows installed 4 drivers to handle HDMI audio.

It ran without problem about 5 hours then crashed with the usual mosaic frozen on the screen.  In that up-time, it was subject to undemanding use.  

Whocrashed reports nothing new from today.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 9th, 2017 15:00

johnemig,

I own a Dell L501x. Not sure if the system is the same but I have the nVidia driver 21.21.13.6909 installed. I haven't moved the system to hook it up to a HDMI cable so I'm not sure if the driver will work or not. You could try googling the driver and see what you think.

I would make a system restore point, then uninstall the current nVidia driver. Restart your computer. It may try to install a generic driver. You could try that first. If that would not work, then try installing an older driver, like I mentioned.

Rick

No Events found!