Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 26th, 2009 04:00

LVDS specification for laptop LCD graphics

Hello,

I have a Dell Latitude D610 laptop. Some background first to help you understand my question better. This model has a native resolution of 1400x1050 (SXGA+), a Mobile Intel 915GM graphics chipset which supports 18 bpp (bits per pixel), and apparently has two LVDS (low voltage differential signaling)  transmitters which transmit the graphics (RGB) data from the graphics chip t the LCD. This RGB data, in addition to control data, power, etc. is most likely transmitted in compliance with the VESA standard. I am interested in obtaining the specification for the LCD cable, in particular something that would tell me the relationship between the 26 wires (9 blue, 5 green, and 12 red)  and the LVDS (low-voltage differential signaling) signals. I can see on the back of the LCD screen the 22 connectors for the clock (positive and negative) and three data channels, and other signals. (One LVDS transmitter handles the odd column pixels while the other handles the even-numbered columns.)  My problem is that the LVDS spec says there should be 30 pins, the back of the LCD has 22 connectors, and yet there are 26 wires. So, my question is: what signal does each of the 26 wires carry? In other words, what is the relationship between the 26 wires and the VESA specification, if in fact this model conforms to the VESA specification?

Thanks,

Brad

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 26th, 2009 04:00

The only way you'll find that information is to black-box an electrical analysis of the cable and connector - it's just not available.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

November 26th, 2009 07:00

Like everyone else, Dell's notebooks are designed and built by large Asian contract manufacturers  -- unless you can get Dell to tell you who made your system (most come from either Quanta or Compal) AND you can then contact them directly (hopefully you're fluent in Chinese ...) AND they can provide you the information, you're pretty much out of luck.

The name on the outside of any notebook computer has little to do with the company that designed and built it - Apple is about the last remaining company that still has a hand in designing at least the exterior of its own computers.  And even their systems are contract manufactured by the same pool of Taiwan-based companies that make notebooks for everyone else.

No Events found!