Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 1st, 2017 01:00

Laptop Charging Port

I have a Dell Inspiron 15R (5545). The laptop was charging and it slid down my legs while on a blanket to a carpeted floor. The laptop fell/slid down on the Charging Port and there was a small crack on the plastic around it. The metal pins inside had bent to the side a bit and the end of the charger had bent at a slight angle while the metal pin inside the plug was fine. The laptop indicated it was charging when I plugged it in though. A few seconds later, a blue screen appears and the computer restarts. I turn it on a couple hours to try it again, and when I launch a program, the computer gets the blue screen again. The blue screen is not being caused by the program because it has been working fine until I dropped my laptop. What should I do? Should I get the Charging Port replaced? Should I purchase a new Charger? Thank you for any responses in advance.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 1st, 2017 03:00

It sounds like three things are in need of replacement:

The DC jack

The AC adapter

The hard drive.

3 Posts

January 1st, 2017 11:00

If I replace the Hard Drive, will I have to purchase Windows 10 again?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 2nd, 2017 05:00

No.  Once Windows 10 is activated on a system, you can simply use your recovery media (or prepare it using the ISO from Dell or Microsoft) and install it - no key will be needed.

No Events found!