Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

January 2nd, 2016 17:00

Laptop Charging Time Inaccurate

Since I got my laptop back from Best Buy the laptop charging time shows at 1 minute or 2 minute no matter what. I tried resetting my PC and it still showing as 1 or 2 minute.

Sometimes it's blank too.

How to fix?

8 Posts

January 3rd, 2016 00:00

I don't really know what was done as Best Buy, but I do know that they examined the laptop for problems, but I fixed it myself, somehow.

Is it ok if I plug it longer than overnight? The laptop is used until night time and I doubt I'll be able to flush it late at night.

615 Posts

January 3rd, 2016 00:00

Hi Kevin,

The first thing I would try is 'flushing" the battery. The control hardware in the battery will sometimes (often) go inaccurate as the battery ages. You didn't mention what sort of work you had done at BestBuy so it's hard to tell if that may be part of the problem or just coincidence.

With the laptop UNPLUGGED run the battery ALL THE WAY DOWN! You'll get a power management warning about putting the computer to sleep or "save your work and shutdown or find an alternate power souce." When you get that warning be prepared for the machine to hibernate or sleep (depending on what your particular power options are set to.) In otherwords try not to have any serious work that you need to save, open, when the warning appears.

Once the computer is hibernating or sleeping, RESUME Windows even though you may not get all the way to the desktop. If you DO get to the desktop, open a video and let it run until the computer simply quits.

WIth your laptop in full power-off state, plug in your charger for ...oh say...overnight. That will give the charger and the battery time to recalibrate and should bring your charge times and readings back up to snuff.

If this information was helpful click the YES button so that others may easily find this solution, If you need futher assistance don't hesitate to contact.

No Events found!