Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

U

January 17th, 2016 05:00

Laptop Crashes with BSOD when on battery

Hi everyone.

I'm using Dell Inspiron 7720 (17R Special/Turbo Edition 3D model)

It's been about 3 years and I've had Windows 7 when i purchased this. I've upgraded to and used Windows 8, 8.1, and now Windows 10. It's all good.

Though the Intel RapidStart and RapidStorage have some problems but that's the issue with Windows 10 I guess so can't complain there.

I update all the drivers and apps regularly along with Windows Update.

Recently, after I updated NVidia drivers, a new issue has risen. A couple issues actually.

1. Selected games run way too slow.

Applications such as Google Earth or SpaceEngine run fine and smooth. And mind you I've downloaded all the 128K texture and depth maps for all planets so it's pretty hard application on hardware. Luckily my 128-bit GDDR5 Graphics card handles it well. (They don't give those in non-alienware models anymore). Tomb Raider (2013 reboot edition) runs fine and smooth even at 1080p at high settings (without AA and AF though) even in stereoscopic 3D.

The problem is with some other games. Such as NFS MostWanted (the 2014 reboot), or FarCry 4. Even at lowest settings possible, the frame rate drops down to 10-20 fps. It's not stuttering-smooth-stuttering which happens sometime with other laptops. It simply runs slow. I tried changing power settings in NVidia control panel, tried overclocking with EVGA precision, even dissected open my laptop and cleaned everything from dusty RAM chips to heatsink and fan. I even use a big aluminum cooler from CoolerMaster thinking it might be overheating, but the GPU temperatures hardly go above 75 degree Celsius.

Then there's Wings of War. A game that came out in 2004 i think. And an old computer on 128MB of RAM with Pentium-4 could run it well. And yet, it gets slow on my laptop, again down to 10-20fps.

If there's one thing consistent about these "slow games", its that they run fine for first minute or two, and then get slow and remain slow till i restart them.

2. I cannot run my laptop on battery for too long.

It's not because the battery drains out. I mean, sure a 6-cell lithium-ion battery only gives about 50 minutes on a laptop with this big hardware and always-on non-optimus GPU, but the issue is entirely different.

About 5-10 minutes after i unplug the charger, the laptop crashes with this message on BSOD:

":(

Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you. (--% complete)

If you'd like to know more, you can search online later for this error:

SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (nvlddmkm.sys)"

So obviously i searched online. Solutions included everything from reinstalling GPU drivers (with and without clean install) to reinstalling Windows 10, or even extracting this nvlddmkm.sys file from NVidia GPU driver setup and copying it to Windows System32 and SYSWOW folders. Or there was the option to downgrade the drivers back to older version.

I've tried all those and yet the issue persists, even on older drivers.

So please, help me out.

Note: Please don't ask me to format my hard drive again and go back to Windows 7/8 or reinstall any OS at all. It takes so much and time and I had to reinstall all drivers and updates over and over again.

My laptop specifications:

Dell Inspiron 7720

Intel 3rdGen CPU i7 3810QM 2.3~3.3 GHz | 2x4GB DDR3 RAM | 2x1TB HDDs + 32GB mSATA caching SSD | NVidia GeForce 650M GPU (750~960 MHz), 128-bit 2GB GDDR5 VRAM (1800~3000 MHz) | 17-inch 120Hz 3D Monitor (1080p) | DVD+BD Writer

No Responses!
No Events found!