Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 16th, 2012 02:00

Laptop Fan Problem

I bought my Dell Studio Laptop about 1 and a half years ago. From previous laptop owners I have always been very wary of keeping laptops from overheating too much. I have also bought a few cans of compressed air and clean the fan every 2 months. However the other day I closed my laptop (I'm pretty certain it went into hibernate mode) but when I opened it 24 hours later it was boiling hot. It seems it turned itself on over those 24 hours, if that possible?

Unfortunately the fan doesn't seem to work properly any more, normally my laptop would make a loud noise after it being on for a while (indicating the laptop's fan working), but now it doesn't do that any more and after being on for about 30 minutes it turns itself off.

It seems a component has broken (perhaps even melted) which prevents my fan from working properly. I myself can't see any solution to this except for getting it repaired (I'm not too sure if my warranty covers this, and then I'm not sure if I have any warranty left). But any way do you guys have any ideas to solving this? 

June 13th, 2012 00:00

I know it's been a while, and I haven't got around to ringing dell support but I do still need help.

Bump.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 13th, 2012 20:00

Hi,

Welcome to the community

Sorry to hear about the problem. What is the exact model of your Studio laptop? Have you tried updating the BIOS? If your BIOS is not update please do so, you can get the file at www.Support.Dell.com Look for drivers and downloads and enter the service tag. If you will run the BIOS update make sure the AC adapter and battery is connected.

After updating the BIOS, observe the computer for a day or two, if same problem, add me as a friend by clicking my username. And send me the service tag of the computer thru PRIVATE Message.

Regards,

No Events found!