Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 1st, 2011 09:00

Laptop Replacments - REALLY?????

Hi All,

I just wanted to see if anyone else has had the same problems as I have when it comes to Dell Customer service and what seems to be a bit of a micky take.

I've had issues with my USB 3.0 sockets on the back, not working, not recognising the correct device and so on.

So I phoned Dell Tech support and arrange for an engineer to attend. They came a week later (next busness day service??????). Only to find out that someone that had my laptop before me (Dell outlet buy) has completly killed the top of one of the main screws into the unit.

I phoned Dell back up and they gave me 3 options:

1 - Full refund

2 - Send it back for repair

3 - Build another laptop on the Dell store and what ever the cost difference is, I'll have to cover it.

So I thought, "Ok lets see how much my current configuration of laptop will cost through the Dell store". Suprise suprise, its almost £300 more than what I paid through the Dell Outlet store.

Now bear in mind at this point I've sold my previous Desktop machine and am surviving of this laptop. I can not send it away for 10 days, that will criple my business.

Full refund will take to long to process and then I have the hassle of going around trying to find another unit at a similar price as I paid for my current laptop.

So this leaves me with option 3. I dont think its fair to charge someone an extra £300 for the same configuraton laptop because some careless bod at Dell Quaility control decided to skip over my machine when Dell got it back the first time.

Anyone else had a similar thing?

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 1st, 2011 11:00

You can't expect a brand-new system as a replacement for what you purchased as a used system.  So, you either pay the difference toward a new system, or take a refund.

3 Posts

August 1st, 2011 13:00

I understand everything you guys are saying - but surely if somthing is sold - and I'm not looking to get a "better" laptop just something of the same configuration. So I'm not really trying to get something for nothing.

Being new or not does not matter - I brought this as a refurb, but refurb is meant to mean, "back to as new". So in affect shouldn't it be the same?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 1st, 2011 13:00

You can't buy a used car at the dealer and then get a full refund that would be as much as a new car.

Dell Outlet is specifically Used Equipment.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 1st, 2011 14:00

The outlet does not have guaranteed inventory just as your used car dealer doesn't.

Full Refund is full refund.  Dell is not responsible for lost time, work, or merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.

No Events found!