Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 30th, 2013 21:00

Laptop USB Booting - Should work, but doesn't

Hello all,

• I own a Dell Studio 1555 Laptop
  • I am running the latest BIOS (A13)
  • I am supposed to have USB booting support

I have created a bootable USB, and tried to boot from the USB. It has not worked. So, I have tried manually, using YUMI, and using UNetbootin. Still could not boot from USB. So, I tried with three different USBs. I still cannot boot from USB.

How do I fix this?

Thanks,

f

4 Operator

• 

1.5K Posts

October 1st, 2013 00:00

Hi ff0273ac72ca710c,

Please share if you are trying to reinstall Windows using the USB flash drive. If not, please share the specific reason for doing so. Try using the USB drive on all the ports to check if you are able to boot. If not, please boot to Windows and check the USB ports functionality by connecting multiple USB devices to the USB ports and check if they get detected.

Also, reset the BIOS to default settings and check if you are able to boot through USB drive. Here are the steps:

• Restart the system and immediately start tapping the 'F2' key to enter the 'BIOS Setup'.
  • Press the 'F9' key to 'Setup Defaults'.
  • Press the 'F10' key to 'Save and Exit'.

Try to boot any other system from bootable USB that you have created. If they are also not booting from it, then it is possible that the USB is faulty or is not created a bootable one properly.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

October 3rd, 2013 05:00

Hi Saharsh, thankyou for replying.

I am not reinstalling Windows, but I am booting into Ubuntu 12.

• I have tried using the USB drive on all ports - none of them worked
  • Just to be sure, I tried a different USB, again on all ports - still didn't work
  • In Windows, the USBs are detected and I can navigate into them, copy/delete/edit files etc - they are behaving normally
  • I followed your steps and reset the BIOS, this has not fixed the problem

Now something strange would happen when I put a bootable USB drive in. The BIOS will actually freeze and not load. It's like it knows the USB is there but something is wrong.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

f

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

October 3rd, 2013 08:00

How did you create the bootable USB?

Did you follow Ubuntu Linux's directions?

October 9th, 2013 03:00

Yeah, for YUMI I followed a tutorial, for UNetbootin I just followed the prompts on screen. I know that the USBs work because I managed to get them working once with a Plop Boot Manager live CD... but now, when I put that CD in, the BIOS won't load.

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

1.5K Posts

October 9th, 2013 05:00

Hi ff0273ac72ca710c,

Thank you for sharing the information.

Please try the to boot any other system using the bootable USB that you have created. If you are able to boot the other system and problem persists with this system only, then you may try reseating or replacing the CMOS battery and check functionality. If the issue still persist, you may consider replacing the motherboard.

Please refer to the Service Manual of this system for instructions on assembling and dis-assembling the hardware components. Follow the 'Safety Guidelines' listed on the manual to help protect your computer from potential damage and to help ensure your own personal safety.

Hope this helps. Please reply if you have any questions.

No Events found!