Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2013 10:00

Laptop XPS17 failing to turn on.

http://en.community.dell.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3518/3107.xps_5F00_boot_5F00_issue.mp4I own a Dell XPS 17 (L702X) which is around 1.5 years old.
One night after watching a movie, i turned it off(Hibernate). It never turned on again.

I tried dell's technical support, and they said that my motherboard has short-circuited and i need to replace it.

When i asked, they suggested the following possible causes:

1. Bad earthing(ground)

2. Water damage

3. Over heating

I am quite sure about 1st and 2nd. I got my earthing checked and neither can it be water-damage.

My laptop does generate a lot of heat while gaming, and i always use an external cooling pad, with three fans positioned right at the input vents. I had never experienced any lag or performance issue with the heat.(http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/in/en/indhs1/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?docid=279891)

Also, i was just doing simple stuff the last time i used my laptop. No signs of any failure of even possible failures.

It just didn't start the next time.

Observations:
1. POST is completing.

2. Unable to reach till BIOS options. System turning off within 0.5 sec after the DELL logo appears.

Please help. Even if i replace the motherboard, i want to be sure of the root cause, as it's quite expensive.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 12th, 2013 10:00

If the heatsink is clogged and or the CPU FAN is dead it will shutdown due to overheating.

August 12th, 2013 11:00

Do refer to the attached short-video before coming to any conclusions.

August 14th, 2013 22:00

The CPU fan is perfectly fine and the CPU cannot heat that much within 2-3 secs of powering on

1 Message

April 5th, 2014 09:00

My XPS 17 had the same symptoms, just like in the video. I unplugged the power cable from the back, popped the battery, put the battery back in, then plugged in the power back in. After that, the laptop came out of hibernation and has not had a problem since.
No Events found!