Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 9th, 2009 17:00

Laptop bought on Ebay without warranty

Hello everybody!

I bought my Dell Latitude D600 on Ebay last year. Unfortunately, there showed up a fabric defect with a screen last month (nothing appears on screen, everything else is fine. BIOS is upgraded to A15 version). When I was buying this laptop, I didn't realize that I would need the warranty (which is up to 2011, I checked) because of the fabric defect. It is my fault. Recently, I have heard that Dell have extended the warranty up to 5 years because of this problem.

So, I have been trying to contact with the seller but he hasn't responded yet and I am sure that he will never respond.

What can I do with such problem? The cost of repair would be probably a few times greater than the value of laptop. Now, my Dell lends to nothing.

Thanks.

4 Posts

Still, this laptop has warranty up to 2011, so could be repaired.

I checked that and it doesn't work on external monitor.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

There is no extended warranty on the D600, so whatever repair costs, it's at your expense.  If there's an image on an external monitor but not on the internal, chances are the backlight or inverter is faulty -repairable for $US 100 or so with an LCD repair shop.

4 Posts

June 9th, 2009 18:00

Yes, I know. But I don't have the details of person who registered the system that I am required to have to get this transfer. And I cannot receive them (see my first post).

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

June 9th, 2009 18:00

You'll need to have the registered owner transfer ownership to your name with Dell.  Then you can call for warranty service.

2.2K Posts

June 9th, 2009 19:00

Some users have been able to get the ownership transferred by using the online form - even when the original owner is not known.

Read this thread and let us know if it works for you:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/t/19257087.aspx

4 Posts

So, anyone want to buy Dell D600 Latitude for a song?

EDIT: Thank you for the link.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Then the cost of the repair will be at your expense.

No Events found!