Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

5 Posts

December 8th, 2008 11:00

Laptop does not operate - Sudden crash after BSOD (Blue Screen of Death)

Hey guys...

I purchased my DELL Inspiron 6400/E1505 (equipped with XP Pro, and later installed SP3) a little more than a year ago.

Referring to the above subject; I was going about with my work online when it crashed. The infamous BSOD flashed. It has happened on a couple of occassions before but not with any dire consequence. (I did not note the error code) :( But I am sure there was no new hardware/software installed recently. (The last installation was Google Chrome as soon as it was released. There was no problem otherwise.)

I tried restarting the laptop. And all I can see on the screen are weird (electronic?) lines. The screen is black with dotted lines... Cant describe it properly... But what happens is the screen appears to fade and whitens at the edges. Creepy...

I think Windows does load in the background but even after boot, nothing happens. Nothing/ Kaput, for sure.

Can anyone tell me where the problem might lie? I have NEVER come across something like this!

Thanks in advance.

3.6K Posts

December 8th, 2008 13:00

Run diagnostics at start up,hit CTRL +f11,i think that is what it is for XP,i forget.

Run the extended tests on Video,HDD,and Memory.

5 Posts

December 8th, 2008 18:00

Thank you for that prompt response.

Unfortunately, that does not work. As I said, the screen is black with some static-esque lines on it. 

If I wait for it to boot and try to type my login pass (the screen is still in the same condition), I get that static beep. I think the machine freezes at that point. I say so because, any key I press results in that beep.

Any other suggestions please?

Thanks.

No Events found!