Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 28th, 2017 16:00

Laptop keeps typing letter P by itself

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 which was upgraded to windows 10.

The issue i am having is that when it gets to the login, it types the letter P repeatedly in the password without anyone touching the keyboard.

At first i thought it was a keyboard issue, so i removed it.  Same problem occurs without any input devices connected, i also disconnected the touch pad and the wireless mouse.

One piece of hint to this issue is that if i press F2 to get to the bios, the problem doesn't occur. It seems to do this only after POST.

Anyone has any idea how i can fix this?

Thanks.

July 31st, 2017 08:00

Well...   i found the answer...     just unplug the power and remove the battery for a couple days.  That did it for me.

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

July 31st, 2017 09:00

If you press F12 and goto Diagnostics or any of the other boot options, or perhaps even a command prompt and not the BIOS, does the P key issue occur there?  

Also, what model Inspiron 15 is this on? There should be a 4 digit model number.

Best regards,

Brad 

Community Manager

• 

2.3K Posts

July 31st, 2017 14:00

Thanks for updating the post, and I apologize for not seeing your reponse detailing the fix before I posted. Not sure how I missed that... regardless glad to hear!

Best regards,

Brad

1 Message

September 30th, 2017 07:00

I have exactly the same issue of 'p' with my Inspiron 15 (upgraded to Windows 10 from 8 ). I have tried both removing  the battery for several days and also Diagnostic from F12, but nothing helped. Also, as my touch pad was not working, I have disabled that and inserted an USB mouse. But no help with 'p'. Most importantly I am currently traveling with my laptop and need to perform many things :(

Laptop service tag:  

For model no., the only 4 digit no. I got is 3878.

Please help.

No Events found!