Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 18th, 2017 22:00

Laptop "Hinge" policy

My 5 month old Inspiron 7559 suddenly started coming apart near the left hinge. After closer inspection, I found that it is NOT the hinge, and that it is in fact the broaching threaded insert that should be molded to the chassis that popped out. There is nothing wrong with the hinge. That should be covered under warranty.

After googling it and looking on these forums, it seems that I am certainly not the only one. Now that I've had technical support hang up on me three times before telling me that I need to pay to have it fixed, I am furious with Dell right now.

I've seen a couple people say that Dell has in fact fixed the problem for them, but I was stone-walled at every avenue. Clearly this is a poor design or a defect in manufacturing, but Dell refuses to ship me a new bottom chassis. Since the laptop is so new, I guess I will try to dispute the charge with my credit card company and just fix it myself. Really disappointing.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

May 22nd, 2017 07:00

They correctly stated the Dell position. Hinges fall under the normal wear and tear policy.

No Events found!