Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 18th, 2015 14:00

Laptop screen went staticky

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 purchased last October. Windows 7. Have not installed any hardware, have not dropped the laptop or spilled anything on it. Last night I had it on battery power and it went into sleep mode while I was eating. When I pressed the power button to bring it out of sleep mode it brought up the login screen. After I logged in the screen went staticky with rolling pixelated sections of blue and black. Hit the power button, laptop turned off and back on, showed the Dell logo, brought up the login screen, then took a few seconds for the icons to show up on the desktop. I don't have a screensaver. Called Dell, rep had me run diagnostics, everything passed. He said it wasn't a known issue. Worked fine the rest of the night and seems fine today. Anyone else encounter this?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

April 20th, 2015 11:00

It sounds like the video driver may have failed while the system was placed on sleep.  Just as long as things are working fine after restarting the system you should be fine.  This shouldn't happen very often but I do suggest keeping an eye open on the system and if the problem continues I suggest reinstalling the video driver.  

If you aren't familiar with installing drivers, go to support.dell.com and type in the service tag of your notebook and click ok.  Look for the video section and choose the driver for the video card for your system. Download it and run it.  Check and see if you continue having the problem.

Please let me know if the problem does continue, and if reinstalling the video driver didn't help, or if you need help finding out what driver that you need.

TB

April 20th, 2015 19:00

Thank you. This makes sense based on the circumstances. I'll post if it happens again.

No Events found!