Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 19th, 2011 09:00

Laptop shocks user

Having issues with several Dell E6510 notebooks in our field operations shocking users.  Several users tell me they are receiving shocks from casing of computer that definitely does not feel like static discharge.  Has anyone else ever been experiencing this?  Models are only a few months old.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

February 19th, 2011 15:00

It happens sometimes. Check the AC cord. If it is two pin and not three (doesn't have the grounding pin), contact Dell for a replacement

3 Posts

February 19th, 2011 17:00

I checked that and all units are 3 pin so they are newer style.

984 Posts

I checked that and all units are 3 pin so they are newer style.

A qualified person should check that the power sockets provide proper earthing for the AC adapters.

If the laptops are properly earthed then static discharge of users is the probable cause of the tingling. In this case the use of anti-static wrist straps should be an effective countermeasure.

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

Check the unit with a voltmeter between the metal where you get the shocks and a ground. A digital voltmeter can give erroneous values in these situations. If you get any reading, try to check with an (old fashioned) analog meter. 

Do you get any shocks when the power adapter is not connected?

3 Posts

February 23rd, 2011 12:00

I am almost sure now that it is a grounding issue with the power systems onsite.  Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 3rd, 2013 15:00

There's almost no way the shocks could be internally generated on battery - it sounds like you have a static electricity problem.  

1 Message

March 3rd, 2013 15:00

I have a Dell Latitude E6530 doing the same thing and I have a three prong plug. It seems to be getting worse, it is shocking me either plugged in or on battery power.

So what do I do? Does Dell have an answer for this?

No Events found!