Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 16th, 2015 13:00

Laptop to TV via HDMI

I have a dell XPS L502X and have connected it to an Insignia TV with DTS sound. I can see the image in the TV but no sound. The sound only comes from the laptop. I have a Nvidia GE525M card. When we connect my wife's Mac to the TV using the same HDMI cable plus the apple adapter it works fine. We can  see the image and hear the sound in the TV. I go through the control panel to sound and see the TV and it sets up as default but no  sound. Can someone help me?

105 Posts

May 16th, 2015 13:00

Check in the Control Panel that the NVIDIA Audio driver is installed, or update the NVIDIA driver and check in the installation that the audio driver is included.

12 Posts

May 16th, 2015 15:00

Sorry for being naive on this but I do not see HDMI in sounds and it doesn't let me configure. I also right click on the speaker and it does not say HDMI

12 Posts

Raczo - thanks - I went into Nvidia and updated the driver to their latest version 350.12. I also wnr into the nivia control panel tp configure the sound.

below are the screens

It doesn't allow me to configure the audio and I tried to see the levels and it id blank as you can see in the screens above. 

Still no sound in the TV

Any other ideas I could try?

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

You have to select the hdmi sound in Sounds, Playback to activate sound on the tv. The default is the computer. Right click on the volume icon in the Notification Area on the lower right and select Playback Devices. If it is activated it will say HDMI is Ready.

12 Posts

me again - just to note that the little speaker at the desktop comes out with a red x saying that there are no speakers or headphones connected. maybe it is because of the HDMI cable but the cable works with mi wife's Mac

12 Posts

In the playback tab of the sound dialog box, it appears the TV so it is recognized. I do not see the bars on the right which just confirms that it is no recognized, even though it has a big green check mark that it is the default. I right click there and then I click on configure speakers but nothing happens and also nothing happens when I click test the default.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

below are the screens

as you can see in the screens above. 

Hello. If you want to insert a screen shot here are directions.

Also you might find our tips in the HDMI Audio FAQ to be useful.

12 Posts

May 18th, 2015 17:00

So here are the screens - thanks jinco for the guidance - so the television sound appears (1). When i click confugure (2) nothing happens and when I look at the levels (3) it comes empty.

also when i right click the screeen both check mars are there so that I can see all the hidden drivers.

I think I even compounded the problem becasue I read in one of the FAQ that even though I have an audio driver (nvidia) i needed and HDMI driver, so i tried to download a HDMI driver. That did not work because "got an error about the OS (i have Windows 7). Now not on;y the initial problem (no sound at TV) continues but I lost (sive I can not see them in the playback  devices) my internal computer speakers.

Can someone help me?

The other thing is that I tried to download a HDMI driver and now my internal computer speakers do not show.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

May 19th, 2015 05:00

Try using Windows System Restore. (Click Start then type system restore into the Windows search box.) Select a restore point dated prior to before you downloaded the driver. That should get the drivers back to the way they were.

If that does not work then download and install a fresh copy of the Realtek audio driver.

> Go to the XPS L502x support page.

> Find the small blue "Change OS" button and select your operating system (Win 7 or 8). Don't skip this step.

> Expand the Audio category.

> Download the Realtek driver.

After you get the Realtek audio driver installed you should see Speakers again in the list of playback devices. Right click on Speakers in the list of devices and click on Properties. Click the "Advanced tab" and uncheck both options under "Exclusive Mode".

one of the FAQ that even though I have an audio driver (nvidia) i needed and HDMI driver

The HDMI audio driver is part of the graphics driver so you just have to install or update the graphics driver (not download an HDMI audio driver). A few people with Intel graphics had better results by uninstalling the graphics driver, rebooting, and letting Windows look for a driver (instead of downloading the driver from the Dell support site.

If you have intel graphics then in the Device Manager it will show up as either "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus" or "Intel Display Audio", depending on the version of Intel graphics.

I understand that you have nVidiia graphics, but on your model I think you have both. Intel graphics is integrated (built into the motherboard) and used for everyday low intensity tasks (so that the laptop battery power will last longer) and nVidia discrete graphics (not built into the motherboard) which should automatically come on during high intensity tasks. 

I don't know that much about graphics so you should check your laptop's documentation to see if that is correct. If so, be sure to update the Intel graphics too, not just the nVidia.

No Events found!