Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 21st, 2014 23:00

Latitude 3340 Touchpad Pausing

We recently purchased 40 units of the Latitude 3340 model. We have noticed on most of the new laptops when using the touchpad there will be frequent pauses in the cursor movement. It really affects the movement of the pointer. This behavior happens in the Bios, Factory image and our corporate image. It does not happen when we use an external mouse. Dell has replaced the touchpad on one unit and this has not helped. Has anyone else seen this issue with the 3340s? So far Dell has not reported this as a known issue. I am concerned that is may be an inherent hardware issue.

2 Posts

October 21st, 2015 10:00

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!

ALL DONE ON DELL LATITUDE 3340 WINDOWS 7 PROFESSIONAL FRESH OS INSTALLATION. 

Hello all i have seem to have found the solution to this problem without the help of dell thankfully. 

There are specific steps that need to be taken to get this to work properly without crashing out the touch pad. 

FIRSTLY DO NOt FOR ANY REASON DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL THE DELL PROVIDED MANAGEMENT ENGINE INTERFACE DRIVER FROM DELL!!! THIS WILL CRASH THE MOUSEPAD AND CREATE THE ERROR IN WHICH IT STUTTERS AND PAUSES. 

I know youre probably thinking then where do i get the MEI driver. well ill tell you how i went about getting it and working around this issue. 

I will list my steps and process for each driver (remember this is off a clean install of the windows 7 pro OS these fixes will not work if you are already having the mouse issue)

1. Load the Ethernet driver to allow connection of your laptop to the internet this is a very important place to start. (yes i know this isnt usually the first driver but bare with me)

2. From here go to the dell website and download the Chipset driver (Intel 8 Series Chipset Device Software Driver)

3. After installing the chipset driver restart and turn on WINDOWS UPDATE this is where the interesting stuff starts to happen.

4. While in windows update you will see that it has populated generic drivers for your Management engine interface, Video, and other generic drivers. (IMPORTANT: This MEI driver will remove the flag from your Device manager)

5. After you have downloaded all of the updates should be around 207 or more you can now continue to load the rest of the drivers. ( i will list the order in which i loaded mine you can do it how you please just follow the general idea)

6. Next use the dell provided installer for video, wireless network, and the ST Microelectronics 3 axis drivers using the provided installers from the dell driver support site. (free fall is unknown device in the device manager ACPI/SMO8810)

7. next lets kill the rest of the flags left on the device manager. Download audio and both old and new versions of the usb 3.0 drivers. (DO NOW USE THE INSTALLER EXTRACT INTO SPARE FOLDER OF THE SAME NAME). then in the device manager allow the system to search for the appropriate file in the folder in which you have sent the extracted files. This should fix the flags for the USB hub (note that the old version of the 3.0 driver will produce a flag use the new 3.0 driver to fix this. remember to extract all files)

8. lastly i then downloaded the newest driver for the touchpad, i then extracted the files to a folder of a like name and allowed the device manager to select the file it needed once again. This updated the track pad on the Device manager to be called DELL TOUCHPAD. 

AT THIS POINT I HAVE NO PAUSING OR STOPPING OF THE TOUCHPAD AND IT HAS THE REQUIRED DELL RECOMMENDED DRIVER FOR THE UNIT. 

Fell free to include other drivers of interest. i only loaded the dell power manager update and the memory card reader for what the current client needed. 

I hope this helps our anyone facing this issue and i should be like the joker and not let something i have figured out better than the rest go for free but it looks like the dell techs on here have been of no help so here is my fix :).

I hope this helps out anyone who has this issue. 

feel free to contact me if you dont understand any part of my post.

<ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

<ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

2 Posts

June 13th, 2014 07:00

I am having the same issue.

The mouse works flawlessly with a mouse, but the touchpad sees freezes every 5-10 seconds.

9 Posts

June 23rd, 2014 11:00

I too am having the same issue with the trackpad stuttering / pausing. I have tried updating the BIOS, tried a few different versions of the Trackpad Driver, tightening the screws (which was one of the supposed "fixes" I found in my internet research), and I'm currently reinstalling Windows 7 on one of the computers but I'm not expecting it'll change anything.

I have noticed though, that if you completely uninstall and delete the "Alps Pointing Device" driver to the point Device Manager recognizes it as a "PS/2 Compatible Mouse" the problem goes away and the mouse works like normal. You just lose all of the multi-touch and gesture features and it becomes a basic point and click trackpad with no scrolling, zooming, or any other feature. This tells me hands down that it is a driver issue although different versions of the driver don't seem to help.

I also found a site that says "If I remove the battery from the laptop, there will be no pauses. I've looked this up and it seems to be caused by the laptop polling the battery for its state, and during this the touchpad will pause, as if there is lag." I tried removing the battery and did not notice any more lag in the mouse, so this seems to be a similar issue although there was no solution to the problem. Just another clue, maybe?

9 Posts

June 24th, 2014 08:00

As I am playing with these laptops more and more, I have noticed that the stuttering mouse issue seems to occur when I have the Ethernet cable plugged into the NIC. If I unplug it, the mouse seems to work normally. I checked on Dell's site and there is an updated Ethernet Network Driver; however, after installation, the problem still seems to persist when I have an Ethernet cable plugged in.

I know this is a fairly dead thread at the moment, but has anyone else found any other possible solutions that has worked for them or clues as to what could be causing the issue?

2 Posts

June 24th, 2014 17:00

So far I have not found anything that works.  I tried an updated Bios when it came out  per Dell's suggestion, and it seemed to help with the pausing in the Bios, but in Windows it did not help at all.  When I initially posted this issue, Dell contacted me and wanted to know more information. They said they were going to try to replicate the issue in their lab. I have yet to hear back and it has been weeks.  So I think they gave up on me.

2 Posts

June 25th, 2014 07:00

Update: The issues we saw with the trackpad went away. We were having the issues when manually installing Windows 8.1, however once we switched to Windows Deployment Services and using the Dell Windows 8.1 driver CAB file, we haven't seen any trackpad problems.

3 Apprentice

• 

540 Posts

June 25th, 2014 07:00

Hi BocesTech, WK80 - Thanks for your posting on this issue. I have sent you each a PM, could you provide the service tags / order information of your effected systems so we can better test with a unit that matches your configurations.

Dalat Tech – Sorry we haven’t had an update for you. Currently we have not been able to replicate the issue you are seeing on our test system. Could you confirm if your systems are only having the issue while connected to a network as BocesTech describes? I will test a few network configurations today in the attempt to replicate the issue.

Thanks.

3 Apprentice

• 

540 Posts

June 25th, 2014 12:00

Thanks WK80 - Happy to hear your systems running well. Could you share a link to the CAB file that worked for you?

BocesTech / Dalat Tech -  We have been able to replicate an intermittent lag to the track pad while connected to a wired network. This was with a factory installation of Windows 8.1 and occurred only while an Ethernet cable with steady network traffic was attached to the system.

On our test system we have been able to resolve the issue by performing the Driver / BIOS updates in the order below:

Dell Client System Update Application

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=MJH8R&fileId=3378189555&osCode=WB64A&productCode=latitude-3340-laptop&languageCode=EN&categoryId=SM

Dell Airplane Mode Network Switch Driver

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=90M6T&fileId=3381018026&osCode=WB64A&productCode=latitude-3340-laptop&languageCode=EN&categoryId=NI

Dell Multi-Touch Touchpad Driver

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=323GH&fileId=3370966424&osCode=WB64A&productCode=latitude-3340-laptop&languageCode=EN&categoryId=IN

Intel I2xx/825xx 10/100/1000 Ethernet Network Drivers

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=DGHKG&fileId=3378269936&osCode=WB64A&productCode=latitude-3340-laptop&languageCode=EN&categoryId=NI

Dell Latitude 3340 System BIOS A02

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=TWG5J&fileId=3372666094&osCode=WB64A&productCode=latitude-3340-laptop&languageCode=EN&categoryId=BI

*Note: Both A02 BIOS and A05 Ethernet driver were required to be installed in our testing, if either was removed the pause would reoccur.  

Let me know if this helps.

9 Posts

June 25th, 2014 14:00

DELL - Shawn B, Thank you for looking into this! I'm glad you were able to duplicate the issue! Not glad it exists, but glad we in the forum aren't the only ones who noticed it. I have about 30 of these models in my possession so far with plans in place to order more, but this issue is beginning to be a very little thorn in my side.

I finished completely reinstalling Windows 7 Pro from scratch on one of the computers and after installing all of the drivers, the issue is still present although it seems to be somewhat less noticeable.

I also downloaded the exact drivers you provided via the links and installed them in that order on 3 different computers but the problem still seems to be occurring. I will keep trying that fix on others and see if I can get the issue to completely disappear.

Most of the 3340's we will be deploying will be on wireless, so this won't be an issue for those. However there are a few that will be connected to a network cable and it would be great to have this issue sorted out.

9 Posts

June 26th, 2014 08:00

Dell-Shawn B, it is just a 64 bit Windows 7 Pro for select licensing installation disk, from which we set up and create our own images. So it's essentially just basic Windows 7 Pro, but it allows us to activate with a KMS server.

However, we noticed the problem with both Dell's factory 64 bit Windows 7 Pro image as well as the freshly installed Windows 7 Pro from our disc. So it seems like any version will recreate the problem.

Again, thank you for looking into this issue!

3 Apprentice

• 

540 Posts

June 26th, 2014 08:00

Sorry to hear that BocesTech,

The solution above was only tested with a Windows 8.1 installation so far. Is the Windows 7 Pro image installed on your systems a Dell 64-bit installation or your own image? I will be testing with Windows 7 today.

3 Apprentice

• 

540 Posts

June 27th, 2014 14:00

Hi Bocestech,

We have been able to replicate with a stock Windows 7 64 bit installation. After updating Drivers from the website the issue currently appears resolved. After clearing the Driver bangs from the new Windows installation using the support site, and installing BIOS A02 - -  http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/latitude-3340-laptop/drivers

- - we updated the following drivers (downgrading the touchpad driver to A06) So far the cursor pause has yet to reoccur.

Dell Multi-Touch Touchpad, v.7.1x07.101.210, A06

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=R281462

Intel 7260 Bluetooth Application

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=CPKTG&fileId=3378277807&osCode=WB64A&productCode=latitude-3340-laptop&languageCode=EN&categoryId=NI

Intel Proset Driver / Software

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=RPVXX&fileId=3363985000&osCode=W764&productCode=latitude-3340-laptop&languageCode=EN&categoryId=NI

Dell Airplane Mode Switch Driver

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=90M6T&fileId=3382669803&osCode=WB64A&productCode=latitude-3340-laptop&languageCode=EN&categoryId=NI

-

Intel® Ethernet Connection I218-LM

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Ethernet+Components&ProductLine=Ethernet+Controllers&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Ethernet+Connection+I218-LM

We are continuing to test in the hopes to narrow the issue down to a root cause. Let us know if these updates have any effect on your system.

1 Message

August 13th, 2014 03:00

Hi, 

We have just purchased 50 of these laptops, and are looking at replacing all 350 of our current laptops with this model, and I am experiencing the same issue with Win 7 64bit.

Does this mean we have to use a touchpad driver from 2011 in order to get the problem to disappear?

They all shipped with BIOS A02, and I have used all the latest drivers for wifi/LAN from the Dell website (after using the even newer ones on the Intel website) and the problem still persists. If I downgrade my touchpad driver to this ancient version, will the problems go away? Can the new driver be updated to fix this issue?

Thanks

Oliver

2 Posts

September 25th, 2014 07:00

Another touchpad problem...

I have a 3340 purchased Sept 2014 in Europe that also has this problem with pausing touchpad, I used wired networking.

I solved that by removing all "advanced drivers" in control panel -> system -> device manager -> mice" until I reached PS/2 dated 2006-06-21. Great! No advanced features, but no pausing!

Sadly, one glitch remains!

When I press the left mouse button, and read a page by slowly dragging the scrollbar downwards, in say 3-10% of the cases the pointer JUMPS to the top middle of the screen, and there it grabs what's there, usually a browser tab... (perhaps it also does "browser back" or something else...)

What is this? Why does the pointer jump, and why does it jump to this place? (No, I'm not touching the touchpad with any more fingers etc?)

Please help, this is very disturbing! I think the 3340 needs a new touchpad driver, fixing this (by some filtering?) and the other pausing problem!

2 Posts

November 10th, 2014 07:00

I have now made a youtube video that shows the problem:

www.youtube.com/watch

No Events found!