Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

October 12th, 2017 10:00

Latitude 5580 Slow 2.5" SATA-III Speeds

Got a new Dell 5580 and have a NVME M.2 drive installed and it seems to have great read and write speeds. When I install my older 2.5” SATA-III Samsung 850 EVO in the 2.5" SATA-III port it’s a lot slower than when run in my old E6540. I have two 850 EVO drives in the E6540, one in the SATA-III 2.5” and one in the M.2 SATA-III port. They both have the same good read write performance in the E6540.

Is the 2.5" SATA port in the Dell 5580 not SATA-III or is it in a slower mode when a M.2 NVME drive is installed?

46 Posts

That is what I’m saying. The same drive in the new laptop is slower than in the old laptop and both ports should be full SATA-III so what gives?

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

Not sure about the 5580, but you can check check SATA speeds (and NVMe speeds for that mater) through Samsung Magician or through utilities like HWinfo64.

46 Posts

October 12th, 2017 11:00

" it’s a lot slower " ???

I did that and its around a 100MB/s slower.  The same drive same test and its slower. So that is why I was asking about the port.

"Is the 2.5" SATA port in the Dell 5580 not SATA-III or is it in a slower mode when a M.2 NVME drive is installed?"

6 Posts

October 12th, 2017 11:00

The same drive in the new laptop is slower than in the old laptop and both ports should be full SATA-III so what gives?

"Slower" is vague term. Better is to take quantitative approach and post benchmark screenshots.

There is a number of benchmarks around: Crystal Disk Mark, Anvil Storage Benchmark, HD Tune, ATTO Disk Benchmark.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

October 12th, 2017 12:00

Do you have the SATA mode in the BIOS set to AHCI or RAID? I agree that benchmarks would be useful and simple to perform. I doubt having an NVMe drive installed would make a difference except MAYBE when you had heavy load on both simultaneously if there’s some bottleneck in an upstream interface, but it’s possible even that shouldn’t occur. Thermal throttling may also be a possibility, I guess.

Any chance you can temporarily move the faster SSD into that system rather than comparing two different units? Even identical drive models can perform differently after a while.

46 Posts

October 12th, 2017 13:00

Using HD Tune. I keep saying I’ve done the benchmarks. It is a lot slower, so now just looking for the why. The same drive in the two different Dell laptops both in a SATA-III port. No other load at the time. It’s the secondary drive in both laptops. The average across the whole drive drops 60MB/s.

Dells BIOS default was RAID and I switched it to AHCI and while the speeds did not change I can now see the NVME M.2 drive in Samsung Magician.

“Any chance you can temporarily move the faster SSD into that system rather than comparing two different units? Even identical drive models can perform differently after a while.”

Not sure I follow. The E6540 has 2 SATA-III ports both with a 850 EVO SSD, one on the M.2 SATA-III port and one on the regular SATA-III port. Both 850 EVO SSDs bench the same in the E6540. I simple moved the 2.5” 850 EVO SSD over to the 5580 and the speed drops over the whole drive.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

October 12th, 2017 14:00

Oh ok, I must have misunderstood.  I thought you had an 850 Evo 2.5" SSD in your E6540 and a separate 850 Evo 2.5" SSD in the 5580.  If you moved the exact same 2.5" SSD from one PC to the other and are seeing a performance drop, then you've already conducted the test I was suggesting.  Have you updated the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver to see if that makes a difference?  If not, then if the drive is negotiating SATA III 6 Gbps in both cases, I'm back to either an upstream bottleneck in the system architecture and/or thermal throttling, but conclusively pinning those down would be a bit difficult.

No Events found!