Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 19th, 2017 08:00

Latitude 7275 will not pair with Active pen PN556W

Dell Active pen PN556W includes the Latitude 7275 in its compatibility list. And It does work for limited selection and drawing functions, However, it does not show up under bluetooth devices and I can't get it to pair.

The laptop is up to date with drivers and bios including the ActivePen_APP_Driver_WIN_A02.

Seems strange that basic pen functions work, but it does not show up anywhere.  Not in device manager, devices and printers or bluetooth devices.   Device manager does show two unidentified devices, that windows can't find drivers for.  Those devices have meaningless hardware IDs, so I can't look them up.  I uninstalled them and the basic pen functions still work.

Need a little help on this.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 20th, 2017 15:00

It doesn't really have to function, just checking the pairing ability of the Pen would point to the Bluetooth on your other system.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 19th, 2017 11:00

You have all three batteries in the pen?  I almost missed the two button batteries because they were so small.

Otherwise, I think you hold the button down while installing Bluetooth devices.  If it is paired it should show up in the Devices listing.

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

September 19th, 2017 12:00

Yes, I have all three batteries.  And yes, I held the button down.  After 3-4 secs the pen light started flashing and I had the laptop Bluetooth add device window open searching for devices.  They both just sat there, until the pen stopped flashing.  I never got a solid light on the pen and it never showed up anywhere on the PC.  Tried many times.  

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 19th, 2017 12:00

I suppose the obvious question might be have you checked the operation of your Bluetooth with other devices or have you tried to pair the pen on another system?

In Device Manager, can you look at the properties of the unknown devices and go to the Details tab and use the drop down menu to select Hardware IDs.  You can select the ID and right click to choose copy.  Maybe we can figure out what they are.  Maybe one is the Bluetooth radio.

My system shows two entries under Human Interface Devices, a HID-compliant pen and a Wacom device.

I have no information on your system so I do not know for sure the Pen will work but if you have a digitized touchscreen like the XPS 13 9365, it should.

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

September 19th, 2017 13:00

I should mention this is a Latitude 7275 tablet PC with the keyboard dock.  12"

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

September 19th, 2017 13:00

Yes, I see the wacom and pen in device manger under Human Int Dev.  However, I do not see it in bluetooth devices.  I can use the pen like a mouse, tap icons, etc.  I can also use the Windows tablet stuff like screen sketch.  However, I can't get the Dell active pen stuff to work.  Like clicking the top button to launch an app, or setting custom use for the barrel buttons.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

September 19th, 2017 15:00

You are setting those items with the UI for the pen.  There should be an active pen app in the listing on the start menu.

The Pen should show up on the Bluetooth devices.  It still appears you system is not pairing.  You did not mention if you had been able to pair other devices..  

I suppose some items are handled through the screen and some are Bluetooth.  I know clicking the pen to open an app is Bluetooth because that is how I can get my system back once the screen has gone off in Modern Standby.

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

September 20th, 2017 10:00

I haven't got back, because I have no other bluetooth devices to test.  The other PCs I can access with bluetooth, don't have touch screens.  I tried pairing with an adroid phone, it paired, showed up in the phone' bluetooth devices, but then said it could not be used.  So bluetooth on the pen seems to work -- but adroid it seems does not know how to use it.  

1 Rookie

• 

19 Posts

September 21st, 2017 12:00

I agree.  

1 Message

September 27th, 2017 21:00

Were you able to resolve your issue with pairing the PN556W pen with the Dell Latitude 7275?  I just got the same setup delivered today and I'm having the same issue pairing my active pen.  It does not show up on the 7275 when I search for Bluetooth devices but when I look at Bluetooth devices on my phone, I can see the PN556W is active.  I updated my drivers for the pen and it still is not showing up on my 7275.  I read through the answers provided on this thread and none of them seemed to provide an answer that can help me connect the devices.  The pen writes but does not have full functionality without the active connection.  Thanks!

No Events found!