Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

10 Posts

November 24th, 2003 22:00

Latitude CPx

If you reinstall all software and operating system from scratch, how do you retain or readminister the special function settings for suspen/setup/battery/lcd swap/font/crt or lcd/disc eject/etc.

Have not found a solution that takes care of all missing functions yet.  HELP!

2.2K Posts

November 26th, 2003 16:00

kuhwks,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

If you are referring to the Function key combos (Fn+?) then most of these are BIOS driven, and you do not need to do anything.  Many of these will even work in DOS.  The only one that I know is effected by Windows is the Fn+Page Up and Page Down to control the sound volume.  These will not work until the sound driver is installed.

If you have installed an ACPI Operating System, Windows 2000 or XP, then some of the functions do not work with those Operating Systems.  You cannot enter the BIOS while the Operating System is running, for example.

If some of the function keys do not work, then please post what functions are not working, and we will see what we can do.

December 2nd, 2003 18:00

I am having the same problem as described here.

I have a Latitude cpiA 300st.  I recently updated from BIOS A11 to A15. The problems were evident before updating the BIOS. I had hope the update might solve it.

Running 98 SE. None of the Fn+ keys work. If I am in the desktop, F1 brings up help, F5 screen refresh, etc. 

Also, keys '  " : ; {} and backspace do not work.

I noticed my keyboard under Ctrl Panel>Keyboards is set to English 101 Keys. I know this machine has an 87 key board.

I had not used the machine in a long time, but don't recall these issues.

Can u help?

1 Message

December 30th, 2003 16:00

I have the exact same problem with Dell Latitude CPx. It was initially having Windows NT and all the function keys were working properly. After there was a crash, I installed Windows 2000 and now (Fn+) F5 , Fn+ F8 and Page up and Page Dn do not work any more. Please help.

17 Posts

February 18th, 2004 16:00

Dell?  Any more ideas on this, for the original poster?  Thanks!

March 23rd, 2004 17:00

I have the same problem with sound ,Fn+Pg Up and Fn+Pg Dn.

there is no audio drivers for latitude CPxH500GT with win XP

7 Posts

March 23rd, 2004 19:00

I have a similar problem, although it may or may not be the root cause of the other posters problems.  My bottom left corner keys go out (been replaced twice under warrenty, now out of warrenty and same thing is happening).

What happens is that something in the keyboard construction seems to have an inherant flaw and my left shift, ctrl, fn, windows key, and sometimes up into the alt and Z and X keys stop working consistantly and then stop working at all.

Like I said, I've had the keyboard replaced twice under warrenty and it only took about 6 to 8 months for it to go out again.  Now, with no warrenty left, I'm looking into buying a new keyboard.

Maybe what's going wrong with yours isn't the top keys or the software, but that FN key itself is out or inconsistant.  The poster who said the FN + F5 is just a refresh sounds like he's got my issue.

17 Posts

March 24th, 2004 13:00

I don't believe it is a key switch (hardware) error.  You may have had that.  I believe we're talking about drivers here, because for me some of the key combos work.  I still need to flatten the hard drive (again!) and ensure I put in all the drivers.  I may also try building it from the Win98 up.  Perhaps some of the functionality will carry over.  Of course, I'm going to capture a disk image when I get it right (Norton Ghost w/ sysprep).

May 8th, 2004 13:00

I have the same problem with sound ,Fn+Pg Up and Fn+Pg Dn.

there is no audio drivers for latitude CPxH500GT with win XP

No Events found!