Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 4th, 2016 08:00

Latitude D-630 Hardware Problems Detected -You will need to contact the Computer Manufacturer

I've been trying to figure out what's been going on with the Display

Sometimes it was just a Backlight on and no Display- Other times "Burned Images" on the Screen.  Sometimes when you move your mouse across them they would be "Erased" and other times bringing up a window could cause them to Disappear - or Appear.    / Checker Board Squares, and I guess the usual problems associated with Display Problems.

External Monitor does not work.

I used an Eraser and Cleaned off the RAM Pins (As I seen this suggestion on another blog for fautly Memory Sticks) and it seemed to have worked somewhat better than it was... I'm also wondering if the Black Protector under the RAM is or has Caused Problems... Lifting it- there is a Sticky Strip which has some Debris.. Which I tried to wipe off.. but it also seemed to be Stuck Fast/ Melded to the MB.

Using the Dell Diagnostic Tools found nothing wrong with the Short Test

Memory Diagnostic showed no Problems-
But, could not perform the Video Card Stress Test
message that Driver needed to updated
But Dell Drivers did not detect any drivers need to be updated - I had previously run Dell Driver update and it only had one for the BIOS which I had Updated.

I once again, removed the RAM- Cleaned the Pins and Slot and rebooted- Run the Memory Test from Windows at boot

Other information re: Video can be found on the Post:
en.community.dell.com/.../20937952

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 4th, 2016 14:00

Could be a bad memory module or a bad socket.  Unplug the system, remove the battery and swap the two modules.  If the error follows the module when re-tested, replace that memory module.

If it sticks to the other module in the same socket where the initial failure occurred, it's the socket that's faulty - replace the mainboard.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 4th, 2016 09:00

Run the Dell diagnostics outside of Windows - F12 at powerup.

17 Posts

September 4th, 2016 10:00

Thanks-
I'll wait for the "Memory Test to Finish"
I think it actually made a couple more BEEPS and a NEW MESSAGE:

17 Posts

Since I've used 2 Memory Modules in the Same Socket- I must Assume it's the Socket if the Answer Lies within these Parameters...

I will try to locate the other Socket ( I believe there is one / perhaps under the touchpad)

and Try the Memory in that Socket.

I'm not sure that I have the Correct Memory- How can I verify that it is DDR2?

(I used some software once- but can't remember what it was).

285 Posts

Hi,

DDR2 ram has a sticker on the dimension labelled PC2-xxxx and DDR3 ram has a sticker on the dimension labelled PC3-xxxx(x).

So, See your above image, It clearly showing PC2 5300S.

Your RAM is DDR2

17 Posts

When running the F-12 Diagnostic from Boot:
 Memory Error Code 0123

After Running the F-12 Diagnostic again, Color / Display Error Code 0334
Previously in the Diagnostic the Colors were fine..
But the Memory had some Problems again "Error Code 0123"

Memory Integrity Test Failed

Memory Compartment says :Use DDR2
But I'm not sure if that's what I have

17 Posts

September 4th, 2016 15:00

I had removed the Memory from the Bottom and tried it in the top tray
System would not boot to BIOS or OS. Just flashing lights-

Memory in Both Trays (2GB Total) Produced the Same Results - just Flashing Lights and no BIOS OR BOOT

I kind of find that strange- Although this laptop was donated to me..
I don't think the Memory Socket in the top,  was ever used - but does not seem to Boot with only Memory in that Socket. 

The laptop seems to work find intermittently, and when it's really bad- seems to work better again, when I remove the memory and clean it- OR RESEAT IT? 

Also the Dell Diagnostic Tool, Had Previously, Revealed no MEMORY Problems with the Memory in the Bottom Tray?

Is there something that can be done to Clean the Trays.. I tried to get a Brush inside the slot...I may try using a vacuum.
Just watched a YouTube video and shows using a Piece of Cardboard inside the Slot-So, I'll try that!

285 Posts

September 4th, 2016 23:00

Hi,

May I know the color of the flashing lights and Could you hear any beep sounds from the motherboard?

17 Posts

September 5th, 2016 05:00

from what I recall,
The lights on the left were lit up
Pretty sure there was no beeps. 

I had actually installed the RAM in the top slot again, and got it working now!

I kind of think there's something intermittently wrong..
Perhaps it is the RAM SLOT but I'm not sure that's all or the correct problem...
Now that I have the RAM in the  TOP Slot - I still had several start ups with only the Backlight on the Screen... Time has yet to tell if the Screen will show sign of Improper Display.

And although it's the Correct DDR2 - I'm now wondering if it's the Correct MHz? and if that might be a problem...

I fix computers as a hobby- and give them to people that don't have one (mostly seniors and students) It's possible I could be using incorrect stuff.. and this RAM was out of another computer.

I also think it has something to do with nVidea - As I seen a comment that someone had been using several Dell Latitude's and advised on NOT getting one with the NVidia Chip.

Not sure if I Previously mentioned it - but External Monitor did not work with Win7
Now I've installed Vista it does Work. 

I also see 2 x  Unknow device in the D.M. but I am still doing windows updates

17 Posts

September 5th, 2016 19:00

I'm not totally convinced that the Memory or Socket are the Main Problem:
After doing some more troubleshooting:

After leaving the computer on all day and going out while it did some updates - which the Display was working fine...
I come home 8 hours later, only to find Screen Display Problems..
It is possible that it had rebooted after some updates- but I'm not sure

After rebooting several more times (which updates were configuring) - There were Screen Diplay Problems and then only a Backlight- and NO EXTERNAL MONITOR DISPLAY>>>
I had unplugged the Laptop Screen and I got Several Good Start Ups..With only the EXTERNAL MONITOR.

Currently doing 4 more Win Updates with only External Monitor.
I will update this in a couple more day.. if it is working OK>> Or sooner if this is not the Correct Problem.

17 Posts

September 7th, 2016 10:00

Unfortunately- I've still experienced many Display Problems
Yet, I can't or won't dismiss them to the MEMORY...
I have seen many Problems with the installation of the NVidea Graphics Driver; which seem to be Very Hard to Resolve. 

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 7th, 2016 10:00

It's just about 100% it's a dying nVidia GPU.   It's almost amazing that one of these still has a working GPU, given the design fault in this series of nVidia GPU -- most of them are long gone by now.

If you want to keep using the system, replace the mainboard with one that has an Intel GPU (you'll need a new heatsink).  The nVidia boards are a big gamble.

No Events found!