Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

21 Posts

July 27th, 2004 14:00

Latitude D600 wireless -- 1350 or 1450 ?

I need to get some mini-pci wireless cards for some Latitude D600s, and I'm torn between the Dell Wireless 1350 (which supports b/g) and the 1450 (which supports a/b/g). 

These are for work, so I'm not concerned about cost.  I'm only concerned about problems/conflcts/etc.  My main question is this -- is there anything about the inclusion of "a" support on the 1450 that has the potential to cause problems? Or do all three protocols co-exist peacefully? If there is any chance that the 1450 could cause slowness (or worse) on a "b" or "g"  network, then I'd go with the 1350.

Our office doesn't use wireless, so these would only be needed for outside locations, such as hotels and conference centers.  Do those types of places ever even use "a" networks?  Since money is no object, I have no problem going with the 1450, as long as it doesn't have the potential to cause me any headaches!

3.2K Posts

July 29th, 2004 12:00

@hvstacey wrote:

I've been running dual band 802.11a/b/g mini pci wireless for over a year with no problems at all.

My experience with "a" was so bad that we switched to 5.8 ghz telephones and 802.11b nextworking.  

So why would anyone buy a DUAL band card when A is really bad and a DEAD technology and will not be resurrected.

Just buy the 1350.

38 Posts

July 29th, 2004 12:00

I've been running dual band 802.11a/b/g mini pci wireless for over a year with no problems at all.  I don't see why there would be any problems since "a" runs in the 5 ghz range while "b" and "g" are in the 2.4 ghz range.  You might see more networks but that really doubtful because of "a"s range limitation.  If, on the off chance your company uses wireless, 2.4ghz landline phones, you could experience dropouts while talking on the phone.  My experience with "a" was so bad that we switched to 5.8 ghz telephones and 802.11b nextworking.  

38 Posts

July 29th, 2004 13:00

There are still plenty of "a" networks about and it does have some usefulness (in my opinion) for cubical sized workgroups and conference rooms.  It's short range can be an advantage in those circumstances.  It just didn't fit the needs for my office.

Message Edited by hvstacey on 07-29-2004 08:13 AM

21 Posts

February 25th, 2005 09:00

i use a GIGABYTE M/N GN-WIAGO1 mini pci card super g mode up to 108 mbps it functions flawlesly and i have a network of 2.4ghz phones it doesnt interfere with for some reason although the wireless router (Link DI-624) with b and super G is also 2.4ghz ?!?!?! am not a scientist but have clear phone conversations and wireless fast cable internet :)
No Events found!