Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

4 Posts

October 24th, 2006 15:00

Latitude D610 - Can't log on to Windows

(Think I posted on the wrong board previously, so re-posting message here)
Hi,
I had primarily used my laptop for use at college, when I graduated I tried to 'unjoin' the college's domain as I wanted to get my laptop connected to my home network. Instead of finding out the right way to do this, I tried to work out on my own how to change it so it would work on my network.
All I remember doing is going into system properties to try to join my network as other ways I had tried I had got error messages saying I couldn't do this as I belonged to a domain (I'm assuming the college domain).
After whatever it was I changed in system properties (sorry for the lack of information here), I was asked to reboot. When I rebooted it asked for my username and password (after the ctrl-alt-delete command). I tried to put in the same username and password I was using previously, but it told me that it was the wrong username and password.
Is there a way to bypass this log on or to reset my password?
Any help would be much appreciated.

Message Edited by starbear on 10-24-2006 11:22 AM

1.5K Posts

October 26th, 2006 15:00

You might try your old domain name\username as the logon, the problem you may run into is that if your user did not have admin rights on this system your stuck. If you were the only person to use this system and did not set an administrator password you can also try administrator as the user name with a blank password.

4 Posts

October 27th, 2006 02:00

Thank you for the reply,
I had tried the old domain username/password but got an error saying that I had entered them wrong, so tried a couple more times, just in case I had entered them incorrectly. Administrator as the username did not work either. I did check in the setup menu to see if an administrator password was set and it showed there was none.
There was one time the IT department at my college had my computer to wipe the drive after a virus left it unable to start, is it possible this could be related somehow?
But for that one time I have been the only user on the computer.
This all happened on reboot after attempting to to find out why I could not log on to my home network, the computer had asked me to reboot after making changes in system properties.
I was wondering if it was possible it was looking for the college domain log in, as this was set up by the IT department there. If, on original setup to the college network, they had set a temporary log in, until I had it back to set up my own.

101 Posts

October 27th, 2006 11:00

Read this:

Then download and burn a reset-boot CD with the software here:
No Events found!