Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

November 1st, 2012 09:00

Latitude D610 | Won't POST After Upgrading RAM

Hello,

I have a Dell Latitude D610 which previously had 2 x 512MB sticks of DDR2-533 installed.

I wanted to upgrade this to 2GB of DDR2-533, so I purchased two Kingston KTM - TP3480/1G sticks of memory.

I installed the RAM into the laptop making sure that the contacts on the RAM sticks were clean and the sticks themselves were well seated. I also discharged myself of static electricity and made sure to handled the sticks carefully.

My problem is that the laptop won't POST with any of the new sticks installed in any of the DIMMs. I have tried every configuration possible with no success.

Failing everything so far, I put the two sticks in an Inspiron 1525 and it POSTed. It booted into Windows and detected all of the memory. I also ran Memtest86+ and the RAM gave no errors.

I'm really confused here. Why won't it work? Any help is appreciated.

78 Posts

Hello, thanks for the reply.

The memory I bought is 2GB (2 x 1GB sticks) of Kingston DDR2-533 (PC2-4200) and it says that it's 1.8V.

1.8K Posts

Hi,

There is a possibility that the memory that you have purchased is not compatible with your computer. Your system supports the memory with following specifications: 

I was not able to find any concrete information about the memory module that you have purchased. If you can provide me some more information about the modules that you have purchased, I will be able to assist you in a better way.

Please reply with information.

78 Posts

November 1st, 2012 10:00

Sorry that's

Kingston KTM-TP3840/1G

FRU: 40E8996

78 Posts

November 1st, 2012 10:00

I bought two sticks of RAM. The module no. is Kingston KTM-TP3480/1G

I found them for sale on overstock(dot)com with a quick google search. That should give some more info.

Please note that I bought these as a kit used from eBay.

78 Posts

November 2nd, 2012 07:00

Just a quick update.

There was a 512MB stick of Hynix memory in DIMM A (under the keyboard).

It appears that it won't POST with anything other than this stick. I have tried the stick that was in DIMM B as well as a spare stick that is known to be working, with no success.

I have also left the CMOS battery out over night and it has made no difference.

1.8K Posts

November 3rd, 2012 06:00

Hi,

The memory modules do match the specifications of memory compatible with your computer. However, if you are able to use the previous memory modules with computer, that means the memory slots and system hardware is working perfectly fine. It can be issue with memory modules as well (could be faulty). You can try other memory modules compatible with your computer. However, If you need to install memory modules in two connectors, install a memory module in the connector labeled "DIMM B" before you install a module in the connector labeled "DIMM A.

You can also refer to the link: http://dell.to/X8qXSl

Please reply for further clarifications.

78 Posts

November 3rd, 2012 07:00

Hello.

That is correct, I am able to use the old memory modules, but only in the DIMMs they were in previously. As mentioned before, I tested the new modules in an Inspiron 1525 using Memtest86 and they tested fine with multiple passes.

I didn't buy this laptop brand new, so I looked up the service tag on the Dell website and found that it originally came with 512MB of RAM. I suspect that this would be the single 512MB stick of Hynix memory that was in DIMM A.

This means that at some point, somebody acquired another 512MB stick of memory and installed it in the then empty DIMM B slot.

Here's the best bit, I tried the other 512MB module (the one that was in DIMM B) in DIMM A, and it didn't work. I also tried another spare stick of 512MB DDR2-533 RAM in DIMM A and it didn't work! And none of the 1GB kingston sticks work in DIMM A either!

If I install any of the sticks of DDR2-533 that I currently have in DIMM B, it'll work just fine. It seems that for it to work, either DIMM A has to be empty, or have the original stick of Hynix memory in it.

1.8K Posts

November 7th, 2012 04:00

Hi,

My apologies for delayed response. You can power on your computer with the one memory stick and then update the BIOS of your computer. 

Note: Before flashing the BIOS please check the following:-

• Battery should have 10% or greater charge
  • Adapter should be connected
  • No external devices should be connected.
  • All other programs should be closed and documents saved

You can download and install the BIOS of your computer: http://dell.to/RF8A46

Steps to download BIOS: 
  • Click on “Download File”.
  • Select “For Single File Download via Browser”.
  • Click on “Download Now”.
  • Save the BIOS on your desktop.
  • Once the BIOS is downloaded on the desktop, right click on it and select “Run as administrator”.
  • Follow the prompts on screen to update BIOS.

Please reply with the findings.

78 Posts

November 7th, 2012 05:00

Hello. Thanks for the reply.

It would appear that I already have the latest BIOS available on the Dell drivers and downloads page, which is revision A06.

The A06 revision BIOS was released on the 12th of October 2005 and my system was shipped on the 17th of December 2005, according to the system configuration page under my service tag. So it came with it pre-installed and has never been updated. As far as I can tell, the machine has never had any kind of warranty work done to it.

1.8K Posts

November 9th, 2012 03:00

Hi,

Thank you for your quick response.

It appears to be an issue with the motherboard (memory slot) of your computer and might need replacement.

78 Posts

November 9th, 2012 04:00

Okay, that makes sense. But it still doesn't explain why the factory installed stick of Hynix memory works in DIMM A, and nothing else will. I've tested the Hynix memory in DIMM A in memtest86. It passed 12 times without a single error.

Maybe a faulty batch of Latitude D610 motherboards? I did some Googling around prior to starting this thread and found that this is in fact an issue that has affected others.

Dell seem to be really good at producing faulty motherboards. I have a Latitude D820 that won't shut down when docked and also an Inspiron 1525 that won't detected any PA-12/PA-10 AC adapter as genuine.

1.8K Posts

November 10th, 2012 01:00

Hi,

Thank you for your concern. I am sorry to hear about the issues you been facing with the computers. Please share some more details about the issues that you are facing with the other computers. 

I'll be glad to assist you. 

78 Posts

November 10th, 2012 05:00

Okay well I still need to experiment with the Latitude D820 a little bit more to see exactly what the problem is.

As for the Inspiron 1525, it was working perfectly when we purchased it new from Dell in November 2008. But over the last four years it has slowly deteriorated. First it stopped charging it's battery. In Windows Vista it said: 'Plugged In, Not Charging'. Then it stopped detecting the AC adapter as a genuine Dell adapter.

At startup it gave a message saying:

'The AC power adapter wattage and type cannot be determined.

The Battery may not charge.

The system will adjust the performance to match the power available.

Please connect a dell 65W AC adapter or greater for best system performance.

To resolve this issue, try to reseat the power adapter.

Strike the F3 key (before the F1 or F2 key) if you do not want to see power warning messages again.

Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility

Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics.'

I assure you that all of the Adapters that I have are genuine Dell adapters and none of them work.

George.

November 13th, 2012 00:00

Thank you for replying. I am posting on behalf of Dell_Chinmay S.

The symptoms that you have listed for the Inspiron 1525 suggest a faulty motherboard and it might have to be replaced.

We could have tried updating the BIOS. However, that requires the battery to be at least 10% charged and AC adapter should be connected and detected.

Let me know if you need further help. I will be glad to assist.

78 Posts

November 13th, 2012 14:00

Okay that seems correct. I can confirm that my inspiron 1525 doesn't have the latest BIOS, and I know that there is no way to update it without a working battery.

As for the Latitude D820, it seems to be okay now. I suspect that the problem was caused by a changed setting in the BIOS (I reset it) or a dirty contact on the dock connector (I cleaned it).

And finally the Latitude D610. I've given up and sold the RAM on eBay. I'll leave the thread here for other people to see, but this problem definitely is not solved yet and will never likely be.

No Events found!