Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

Z

3 Posts

April 5th, 2006 22:00

Latitude D620 9-cell battery

I am thinking about buying a D620 Latitude laptop with a 9-cell battery. However, I have found this review:

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=2846&laptop=Dell+Latitude+D620+Review

I am especially concerned about this image:

http://www.notebookreview.com/assets/10560.jpg

This would definitely discourage me of buying a 9-cell battery. In the official Dell documents I cannot find anything about the laptop size with/without the 9-cell battery.

Does someone know more about it?

232 Posts

April 7th, 2006 17:00

Wow... thanks for bringing that to my attention. I too have been looking at a D620 and was considering the 9-cell battery. But not anymore.  If that's what the 9-cell looks like I'm sure I'll make due with the 6-cell. :-)

Naturally I assumed the 9-cell was just a better battery. :-)

34 Posts

April 10th, 2006 20:00

The 9-cell battery on the D620 sticks out the front, like the extended-life battery on the D410.  I'd go with the 6-cell, and order a modular bay battery, too.

Message Edited by dukeisduke on 04-10-200604:15 PM

5 Posts

September 25th, 2006 02:00

> I'd go with the 6-cell, and order a modular bay
> battery, too.

Cost-wise, 9-cell is a $30 upgrade vs $119 for the 6-cell modular-bay battery. Plus, if someone is going on battery for very long periods they may well want the 9-cell plus the modular-bay battery.

34 Posts

September 25th, 2006 12:00

That would be a good idea, too.  The standard configuration we're buying for users includes the 6-cell and the media bay battery.

We have the 9-cell batteries in our lab, and we haven't seen an issue with the size.  The three extra cells on the front make a nice palm rest.

I ran MobileMark 2002 tests on the different battery configurations, and using the 9-cell along with the media bay battery I got over eight hours.  That's with a 2.00GHz (Yonah) processor, 1Gb (1 DIMM) of 667 RAM, nVidia graphics, and running at reduced brightness (four steps below max brightness).  With the 1.66GHz CPU, 1Gb (2-512s) of 533 RAM, and integrated Intel graphics it was just over 11 hours.

14 Posts

April 14th, 2007 00:00

Well, I could have seen the battery on the battery/accessories page I guess.   The slim PS is there too, but they don't show the bunch of cords.

14 Posts

April 14th, 2007 00:00

Very very poor of Dell not to show what the 9 cell looks like.  I just got the D620 with the 9 cell and also went for the slim Auto/Air/AC charger.

The 9 cell battery has a kludgy wristrest style extension that is 9" long and extends 1" from the front edge of the computer.  

The slim power supply won't "express charge" the 9 cell either, for that you need the 90w PS.
If you go with the 6 cell, apparently the slim power supply will do the "express charge"

You don't see that when you configure a machine either.

Finally, the design of the slim Auto/Air/AC leaves a bit to be desired, rather than nest the three pin air connector (for US Air/Airbus connections) inside the 12v lighter plug (like Targus Auto/Air), Dell just throws in another separate cable.  Altogether you get 5 cables and the brick, and the brick has a permanently attached cable with Dell connector.

1) Very short AC cord
2) Longer AC cord
3) Auto cord with lighter plug
4) Air plug with three prong airline connector
5) Extention of the DC side cord

If you pack all the cords, you've got less weight but more bulk than the Lattitude D600 brick.

I wish that Dell would spend more effort showing pictures of items rather than nifty annimations on web site.  For example, you can click on battery options for the D620 and see lovely green animated bars of power, but no actual picture of what the batteries look like and they dont give you specs on the weights of the 4 cell vs 6 cell vs 9 cell that I could find either.

April 14th, 2007 03:00

I have all 3 and use them at different times.  9 cell isn't that bad when you use it on a desk, table, my boat, etc.

I also have 2 modular batts and the 6 cell for my 620.

June 15th, 2007 00:00

I bought the 9 cell after buying my d420 with the 6 cell in it and, honestly, I almost never use the 6 cell anymore.  The palmrest shape of the 9cell adds an inch to the width but since its tapered, has a rubbery surface, and is in the right spot for a rest it doesnt bother me.  The extra battery life is awesome!  I almost never take my power adapter day to day because with the auto brightness function and/or the fact that I spend desk time with it driving an external monitor I can easily get through a workday of use on a single charge.

However, after hearing jdcnpr's description of the slim charger it looks like I will be getting that right now.  I have the big adapter that came with my notebook so I can leave  that plugged into the media base (which I use as a docking station) to charge/power when its docked and just carry the slim adapter around with me.

I was worried that the slim adapter would have only a 3foot power cord.  Since you said it comes with a longer one I think I can do with that.

1 Message

November 24th, 2007 20:00

Hi, I have the 6 cell battery and I find that it just doesn't last long enough. So I'm trying to figure out whether I should go for a 9 cell or a 6 cell media bay battery. Anyone know how long the 6 cell + media bay battery lasts ? I saw the 9 cell can give upto 8 hours which is pretty good. Checking the stats the internal is 56Whr media bay is 48Whr 9 cell is 85Whr So internal + media bay should be able to outlast the 9 cell without the bit sticking out. Just wondered if someone had some real data of using a config like this ? Thanks Michael
No Events found!