Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 26th, 2010 19:00

Latitude D620, no video even at preboot

Dell Latitude D620 laptop / Windows XP Pro SP3
Wave Embassy Security software with TPM, preboot authentication, etc.

It seems Google Earth messed up the video driver and the screen was blank.

I thought the BIOS had its own basic driver for the boot sequence until Windows took over with its own driver but the screen is blank from the very beginning and I cannot even get into Windows.

I have the Wave Embassy preboot authentication so the first thing is that I need to input the preboot password before it even starts to boot into Windows. The disk and other activity seem to be Ok but there is just no display on the screen.

This happened a first time and I was afraid everything on the disk was corrupted and gone but I kept trying and one time the display came up and I was able to get into safe mode and restore the video driver and everything was fine from there on.

Until a couple days later I forgot how the problem had started and I started up Google Earth again and again it corrupted the video and now again I cannot get it to display anything and I cannot get into the BIOS or boot or anything. And this time I have tried many times but no luck.

I have tried disconnecting the CMOS battery but no luck. I have tried connecting an external monitor but it makes no difference.

I do not understand why a problem with the Windows video driver would affect the preboot and boot sequence because I thought these used their own basic driver from the BIOS which has nothing in common with the Windows driver.  Only a hardware problem would explain why there is no video at all but the first time it happened makes me be pretty sure that this is not a hardware problem but a software, driver problem caused by Google Earth.

It could be that it is a hardware problem and that somehow it was just a coincidence that it failed both times when I started Google Earth but it seems very unlikely.  On the other hand I cannot explain why or how the failure is even from preboot.

I cannot get into the BIOS. I cannot boot up from a CD. I cannot think of anything.

Any ideas?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 26th, 2010 19:00

If the system uses an nVidia chip, the video chip is known to be of faulty design and commonly fails.

If the system is less than 12 months out of warranty, Dell will replace the mainboard:

http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2008/08/18/nvidia-gpu-update-dell-to-offer-warranty-enhancement-to-all-affected-customers-worldwide.aspx

If it's more than that, you will have to pay for the replacement - I would strongly suggest that you install an Intel-video board - another nVidia board will likely fail again.

14 Posts

May 27th, 2010 09:00

Thanks for your input. You are probably correct in your guess that it is the video board.  I believe the entire motherboard would need to be replaced as the Intel video board is not compatible with my motherboard.  I do not believe it would be worth paying to have the entire mobo replaced.  I bought the laptop refurbished on ebay about a year ago and I doubt I can get any kind of compensation for this. From what I see online this issue was known when I bought my unit and this bothers me but I guess there is not much I can do about it. I got about a year's life out of it when I should have expected quite a bit more.  This really bothers me.

June 29th, 2010 06:00

I have the same problem.  A dell external screen but on boot up there is nothing on the laptop screen.  Pressing function F8 switches the video to the external screen.  It is corrupted with vertical lines and often defaults to 640x480 resol;ution (default).  I too got this problem whilst using Google Earth, but not exclusivel;y so.  The problem cured itself until now by running start up diags sometimes but that doesn't help any more.  My fan was also very dusty and fluffy and I have cleaned that out- it may be that the video hardware has failed and it got hottest whilst being driven hardest - e.g. Google Earth.

I'm not sure which way to go just now - I don't know how much a mobo is and even whether that will fix it.

Ken

14 Posts

July 3rd, 2010 18:00

Do you have the NVidia video chip? That sounds like the same problem. If you repair the Nvidia MoBo it sounds like it could happen again at any time and the only real repair is to change the MoBo for one with Intel video chip which is probably going to cost more than it's worth.  I am really ticked off by this as I have lost my laptop and cannot afford to buy another one. A new Latitude E5400 is about a grand depending on configuration and I just cannot afford it.  DELL should offer some kind of deal, maybe a deep discount on a new laptop or repair or replace with a refurbished unit of the same model, to those of us who have lost our computers due to their faulty design. I feel cheated and let down. Dell acknowledges the design is at fault but says it is just tough luck that my computer did notr fail in time for the warranty.  Any chance Dell might do something for us?

Thankfully I was able to pull out the SATA HDD and just plug it in to another computer and copy all the data.

By the way, I have a hard time accessing this forum because when I try to log in it rejects my (correct) password and then I have to reset it and wait 24 hrs so it has taken me days to be able to post this. Frustrating.   But not as much as having lost my laptop.

July 4th, 2010 00:00

Hi - thanks for your response.

Yes - I have the Nvidia,  and I have borrowed another D620, swapped hard drives and everything works, so it's not a config problem.  I suspect it must be the video hardware as I have no video either on my monitor screen, nor the additional Dell 20" screen - at any stage through boot or after.

A refurbished mother board is about £125 in the UK and I suspect that would fix it.  Clearly Dell have a problem with this seemingly regular failure, either in or out of warranty period and it will give them a bit of bad press - but that's all.  I don't know if the video chip-set on the mother board is plug-in and therefore easily changeable, and how much that would be.  I don't even know where the video chips are on the mother board. Maybe Dell would offer an explanation and a possible cheapest solution for those of us who are suffering with a seemingly known and common fault?  Maybe Nvidia could also?  Free driver chips might offer a reasonable and cheap option - if they're available and pluggable.  Can't see many people being able to resolder chips successfully.

So - at least now I know my problem lies with something on the system board and probably the video area.  I don't expect any help from Dell that would offer a solution so I need to get another computer.  Now I have my data from my hard drive I don't expect it'll be a Dell after this.

Maybe you could get another mother board with the Intel chip-set on it.  Swapping the mother board is relatively straight forward if a bit fiddly and time consuming.  I suppose it would depend upon each individual's dexterity.  Maybe you can get a re-furbed one from somewhere at a much reduced cost rather than replacing the whole laptop.

No problem with my password - and I think I got a call from the Dell help-desk soon after posting this, but the message left on my answer phone was too difficult to understand - very speedy words and difficult diction.

July 4th, 2010 04:00

Alf - If you say that the chip comes un-soldered then if I can locate the specific video chips I'll have a go at  re-soldering them. It's worth a try.  I'll take the mother board out again and try.  If I have any luck I'll let you know.  I certainly think it's a heat problem - my fan was clogged with dust.  I don't think this is a user problem but a natural result over time with an airflow design like this with no removable filter.  Laptops aren't expected to be used in clinical conditions after all.

I will be surprised but pleased if overheat has destroyed the solder joints.  I suspect it will be a chip failure due to overheat.  Where did you get your un-soldered analysis from?

Ken

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Please check again.  The version of the board with the Intel GPU does just fine - the very problem is with the nVidia chip itself, as nVIdia itself finally admitted, after it was cornered and couldn't escape the reality of the massive number of failures.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1028703/nvidia-g84-g86-bad

Dell extended the warranty by one year over and above what you purchased - so if your system is less than a year out of warranty, have the board replaced.  Yes, GPU is part of the mainboard -- as it is on all mass produced notebooks these days - and yes, the boards are expensive (though if you think Dell is bad in this regard, HP, Sony, Toshiba and Apple all charge between $800 and $1,100+ for a logic board replacement.

Should you chose to replace the board at your expense, buy the Intel version - no one knows which GPUs are "fixed" and which are faulty -- and many engineers believe that short of a complete redesign, the nVidia chip cannot be fixed - that is, they're ALL faulty.

14 Posts

I promise my previous post was divided into paragraphs. I have no idea what happened. I am beginning to think Dell hates me ;)

14 Posts

July 4th, 2010 05:00

Well, it seems the board software will not recognise my paragraphs. Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1GQWwqPR3U

14 Posts

July 4th, 2010 05:00

Ken, the information I have I got from looking around the Internet and talking to several repair places. I cannot vouch that it is all correct because sometimes incorrect information gets widely repeated and circulated but several repair places and internet sources all agree that a possible repair is to resolder the video chip. The repair shops I consulted stressed that it should be considered a temporary repair and that they would not guarantee it. There several are videos on Youtube showing how to do the repair: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h4fggTK-0I Unfortunately this is outside of my capability and I do not even have the tools or expertise to attempt the repair. If I could do it then I would try as it would be only my labor but I am not ready to pay a repair shop about $150 for a temporary repair which might last only a few days or weeks. My D620 failed and then, after many tries, worked again for a couple of days during which I did not turn it off. Once I turned it off it did not work again. This makes me suspect a bad contact rather than a bad chip although I suppose a dead chip due to heat is also a possible cause of failure. Most sources I have consulted seem to agree that the problem is with the soldering and that the chip should be ok. I am disappointed that Dell would leave us out in the cold just because our laptops did not fail soon enough. So I would have been luckier if my laptop had failed sooner. Oh well.

July 15th, 2010 02:00

All - I have replaced the system board and everything works fine - I even had to do nothing to reconcile the difference between the Intel video chip on the new system board compared to the Nvidia on the old one.

I am quite sure that the issue is heat related causing a chip failure as you all had already told me anyway - thanks.

The fan, previous to this repair, was very often going like crazy, but now is hardly going at all.  I put plenty of thermal compound between the chip and heat sink and I suspect that's where the failure lies.  Be sure that if you can hear your fan going regularly then you should fix the thermal conductivity issue to the heat sink as a precaution and may just prevent any damage occurring.

The problem I suspect is thermal compound failing after time - the blue stuff applied at initial manufacture looks to go hard and I suspect reduces its effectiveness.

So - I'm very happy - thanks to this little conversation I've fixed a problem.  System board cost me £150.00 sterling - OK.

I had to fit my CPU chip from my old system board and now I get F1 issue on boot where it tells me that CPU not supported - F1 to continue.  I do this and everything seems to work fine afterwards - don't know what that is or how to fix it.

Also - when OS is up I get a message saying system components have been updated successfully - reboot now?  If I reboot I get exactly the same each time, so I ignore that as well.  It doesn't seem to be a problem, it is just not a clean situation and I'd like to deal with it.

Anyway - thanks to you for your help, guidance and ideas.

The only thanks to Dell is that this forum is here.  Nothing offered in way of solution.

Ken

No Events found!