Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

N

3 Posts

October 28th, 2011 11:00

Latitude D630, AC power adapter

My AC Adapter started burning out a couple years ago. I replaced it and it worked again for a few months and the same thing occurred. At this point, my warranty was expired, so I had no choice but to replace it again. This problem keeps occurring. I called today to express my concern and see if the company could at the very least replace the ac adapter for me so that I can get through these last few months of school. This is a simple request. I was willing to settle with the short end of the stick. I was volleyed between many different departments and technicians. With each person I had to state my case again. I was told there is NOTHING that can be done for me because my warranty is up.

I've read countless message boards online and had my own experience of this issue. I spent over a thousand dollars on a computer, plus the money I spent on replacement adapters, had bad customer service, and unforgiving policies. This is just ridiculous. Never again will I buy a Dell product. They are of low quality and the trouble it takes to talk to somebody just to have them tell you you should shell out more money for a problem that's completely their fault is enough to swear off Dell forever.

147 Posts

October 29th, 2011 07:00

I use the same AC adapter on Dell D620, D630, Inspiron 1525 and Studio 1555 wit ABSOLUTELY no problems for a couple of years.  You can get an adapter off EBAY that should work with your laptop. I don't think the motherboard is your problem.  FWIW

147 Posts

October 29th, 2011 07:00

You can check your adapter output which should be 19.5VDC between the center pin and the metal sleeve.  This output should be printed on the adapter case which the AC power cable & laptop power cable are attached/plugged in.

3 Posts

October 29th, 2011 08:00

Right, but that's your computer. I was told by Dell technicians that it is either a) a problem with the ac adapter or b) a motherboard problem which means my computer is a "lemon". There's no way I've been through 4 Dell-approved chargers in such a short amount of time. They looked up my problem and specifically told me that is the issue. It has nothing to do with how other computers perform. Mine is defective.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

October 29th, 2011 09:00

Dell-approved? These are genuine Dell AC chargers? Not after-market?

3 Posts

October 29th, 2011 18:00

Thanks for bearing with my irritation. The laptop won't turn on anymore because I have nothing to charge it with. Every charger I've used on it has literally died a few months later and can't be used on any computer. I'll have to take it to an IT department to measure the DC voltage as I don't have the equipment, but I will do this on Monday.

147 Posts

October 29th, 2011 18:00

May I suggest that you take a deep breath, bear with me for a minute and assume that your motherboard 'IS NOT THE PROBLEM'.  Unplug your AC adapter cable from the laptop and measure the DC voltage between the center pin and sleeve and tell us what you see.  Should be 19.5VDC coming out of the adapter.  Will the laptop work without the battery plugged in and only the AC adapter connected?  Can you try the AC adapter on another Dell laptop?  Lets work together and see if we can solve your problem.  Lets also assume that the Dell techs may have been mistaken about your motherboard.

1 Message

April 26th, 2012 15:00

I googled the problem I am having with my laptop and your posts popped up! I am having the VERY SAME ISSUE! I have gone through 4 chargers on this laptop and the laptop is only 18 months old. This latest charger only lasted one month. My husband has a dell that is a DINOSAUR and he has the SAME charger as when he bought the laptop. I KNOW something is wrong with this laptop and I think its ridiculous! I too, will never buy a dell again. Also, my battery has died..and that was about 6 months ago. I did not realize that batteries could die after a year? NO, its just because this laptop is DEFECTIVE!

No Events found!