Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2013 04:00

Latitude D630 Win XP invalid key

I had a Dell Latitude D620 which was stolen but I had taken the hard disk out. (It was running Win XP Pro SP3)

I bought on ebay a Latitude D630 with no hard disk. (I am guessing these are government or military surplus so they take out the HDD.)

I put the old D620 hard disk into the D630 and it started up and after some updating of drivers it seems to work correctly.

BUT

when I go to Windows Update it does not accept the system as genuine.

Both the stolen D620 and the D630 have COA's and I have all the keys.  I have tried changing the keys (using msoobe.exe) but it rejects both of them as invalid as well as other keys I have tried. I have the key, service tag, etc. for both computers, the stolen D620 and the D630 in my possession now. 

I suppose I could try a clean install of HP but It would take many hours of work to reinstall everything and I would rather try to find a solution that does not involve a clean install. And even with a clean install it might not accept the key. Plus, I do not have the installation disk and would have to acquire one and do not even know which one I would need.  Quite a mess.

So, how could I get the D620 to accept the key on the COA? (And Windows Genuine Advantage to accept it as good)

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 7th, 2013 04:00

Since XP goes end of life on April 9, 2014 - meaning no further security updates - it's time to leave XP behind and move to Windows 7. 

That will solve the current problem and keep the system in service beyond April 9 -- at which time XP becomes even more of a security sitting duck than it is now.

14 Posts

September 7th, 2013 05:00

I am not sure if the D630 will run Windows 7 and I do not think Dell would upgrade it for free.  For now I would just like to get the Windows XP installation recognized as genuine and valid. 

September 7th, 2013 05:00

Hi gs33,

I would suggest you to enter the system setup and check there if the system service tag is being detected or not. You may follow the steps below :

• Restart the computer
  • Press F2 button when you see Dell logo onscreen
  • You will find the Service Tag under System -> System Info

If the Service Tag is being detected correctly, you may contact Microsoft for manually activating the Windows XP. You may refer to Microsoft article Here for activating Windows XP.

Otherwise, the only option is to re-install Windows XP using Dell OEM Windows XP re-installation discs. You may refer to article Here for step by step instructions on installing Windows XP. Once the OS is installed, you may install the drivers from Here -> Enter the service tag of your system ->  Select the operating system -> Download/install the drivers in correct order as given Here.

Hope this helps.

14 Posts

September 7th, 2013 07:00

Thanks SUNDEEP B, the service tag is being detected correctly so I will try activating manually by calling MS (as soon as I can get the ethernet network port to work as it seems to be needing a driver but I'll start a different thread about that).  Once I try it I will report back.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 7th, 2013 08:00

The D630 can easily handle Windows 7 - no, the OS won't be free though.  However, since XP is dead as of April 9, 2014, it's more or less a moot point - keeping XP systems beyond that time is an invitation to a security problem.

September 9th, 2013 21:00

Hi gs33,

You may try installing the Broadcom Ethernet driver from Here and see if it helps. 

September 13th, 2013 04:00

Hi gs33,

Unfortunately we have not received feedback from you on this topic. If you need continued support, please write back. Other community members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. 

14 Posts

September 13th, 2013 13:00

I have not found the way to change the key so I am afraid I will have to try to reinstall Windows XP and I need to find a Dell disk for that. For now I am stuck.

September 13th, 2013 22:00

Hi gs33,

You may refer to Microsoft article Here for changing the product key.

14 Posts

September 23rd, 2013 00:00

Well, I finally gave up and reinstalled Windows XP which resolved the key issue but has created many other issues which are requiring a lot of time to resolve.  Windows Update was not working and installing SP3 was a pain.  I am advancing very slowly and it will take many hours of work before the laptop is fully updated and configured. 

September 24th, 2013 01:00

Hi gs33,

Laptop hardware vary from system to system. Even on models of same series the hardware might be different and if you swap the hard drives, there is always a possibility of encountering a few issues. It was evident that the Windows will not accept the product key if you have swapped the hard drives. However, you should have been able to change the product key or else activate the Windows by contacting Microsoft. As, none of these options were viable or working, so manual OS re-install was the only option. 

Please share if you are facing any specific issues. I would be glad to help you.

No Events found!