Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 7th, 2015 03:00

Latitude E4200 CPU overheating

Dear Support,

My Latitude E4200 laptop has been working fine for years, but I faced an CPU overheating problem last week.

Without any loads, it heated up to 60C. But with a medium load (60% - 70%) it heated up to 95C-100C and fan speed was ~6600 rpm but it did not help to decrease the temperature. After several minutes of such kind of load, CPU reached more than 100C and became throttling...

I disassemled my laptop to check if there some dust could be inside and cleaned it. No results, there was the same overheating. Then I looked under the heatsink and saw that the original thermal grease was completely dry...

I decided to replace bad thermal grease by a portion of a new grease meaning that dry grease could be the main root of the issue. But after replacing thermal grease and assembling the laptop I got the same high CPU temperatures again and the same overheating and throttling.

What the reason could be for this sudden CPU overheating? Could the heatsink's copper pipe be damaged? Should I probably try to replace the whole heatsink part by another one?

Otherwise I have no ideas how to solve this problem.

I would appreciate you for any help and/or suggestions.

June 7th, 2015 04:00

Hi, 

Please update the BIOS and check how it goes.

If the issue is still the same, would suspect heatsink to be the culprit (the copper coil ).

REGARDS

7 Posts

June 7th, 2015 06:00

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I have already tried the latest available BIOS version A24 but CPU temperatures are still the same high under medium loads.

So I will try to find a new heatsink and replace it.

Regards

5 Posts

June 8th, 2015 02:00

Try changing the heatsink for better Colling exaustion

June 9th, 2015 21:00

Sure. Let us know how it goes.

Regards

7 Posts

June 22nd, 2015 08:00

Hi,

I have replaced the heatsink recently for a new one bought on EBAY and my E4200 laptop works fine for now!

Thanks a lot for your help and advices!

Best regards,

No Events found!