Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 16th, 2015 02:00

Latitude E5420 Boot issues

Hi There,

I am having some real issues with a Latitude E5420. It will sometimes boot no problem, maybe 40% of the time.

Most of the time it goes to the dell splash screen and the bar goes to the top then i get a blank screen. No blinking cursor or anything. No HD activity, no CD drive activity.

I can press F2 and get in to the bios, i can press F12 and get to the boot menu but even after selecting a boot option from the boot menu i will still get a blank screen most of the time.

Once the Laptop boots up it runs fine and doesn't report any errors. A memory test has shown no errors. I have replaces the CMOS battery, which was a bit of a nightmare, i have replaced/swapped the memory modules.

I am really stumpted here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Blair

January 20th, 2015 00:00

Hi All,

This morning the laptop was as bad as it has ever been. Approx 30 attemps to turn it on before it booted into windows.

If anyone could help with this that would be great.

Thanks

511 Posts

January 20th, 2015 17:00

It sounds like your HDD might be dropping in and out of BIOS. Can you verify that the HDD is working correctly by trying it in another computer?

130 Posts

January 22nd, 2015 02:00

I would see if it boots reliably off a Linux CD or USB stick and if the hard disc is visible from there.

Maybe some boot sector virus.  Sadly might need an OS reinstall and/or new hard disc.  Hopefully after all that it isn't the motherboard.

130 Posts

January 22nd, 2015 04:00

That model is a good 3-4 years old now isn't it, so unless a BIOS update fixes it you'd probably have to find one on eBay for parts.

Although when it's that age and decent laptops are only £250 new, may be a false economy.

130 Posts

Yes it will be, but typically they'll want you to reinstall the OS and update the BIOS/drivers first to prove it's not that before they'll authorise a motherboard swap.

Thanks for your reply,

The HDD seems to be fine. I'm leaning towards a faulty motherboard as it will sometimes also not boot from CD or USB drive.

I have not managed to produce an environment where it boots every time.

Cheers

No problem, I have updated to the latest BIOS and drivers. I don't think a reinstall will change much but I will try it and then get in touch with Dell. 

Thanks for your help on this

I think this laptop was purchased in 2013 so I think that it is still under Warranty.

I'm sure we purchase all our laptops with extended 3 year warranty.

Do you think this would be cover under warranty?

Thanks for your time.

130 Posts

January 22nd, 2015 08:00

Actually, if you have access to an identical machine at your place you could swap the hard disc into it (5 minute job) and see if it boots every time.

Could save a lot of time dealing with support, although they still might ask you to reset/reflash the BIOS first.

EDIT: I see the guy above already suggested trying it in another machine!

No Events found!