Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 9th, 2015 12:00

Latitude E5420 intermittent no boot

I have a latitude 5420 that will sometimes randomly not boot or post.  I have tried changing the memory Dimm's and other things like hard drive nothing seems to make scene to me, it will work then and few times and boot up.   when I doesn't boot I have tried running the Pre boot diagnostics. what I get then is  the blue screen and white text with this result:

Examining ACPI descriptors.......

running MATS Test

then nothing else,  I have to power it off to exit the hung up test

I'm thinking system board issue maybe? any idea?

2K Posts

October 10th, 2015 00:00

Hi mparks_21,

What is the OS installed on the system? Are there any bluescreens / system crashes? If yes, we need the exact error code to diagnose the issue.

Update the BIOS from support.dell.com - http://dell.to/1kGWIcI - enter the service tag and select drivers and downloads and run the BIOS update.

From the same link above, download and reinstall the chipset drivers for your specific OS.

Restart the system and keep tapping on f12 key and select diagnostics. Run the test and make a note of any errors that you might possibly encounter and reply with the error details.

Also, run a thorough test on the HDD and if possible the extended memory test on each module.

Keep us updated.

5 Posts

October 12th, 2015 06:00

What is happening is the system seems ok until its restarted than it sometimes will not boot windows 7 .  I have tried running The diagnostics  it will run and pass all tests of the system is in a good mood or not even run them at all.

I have tried to update the bios seems the latest version is A14 and I have A01 on the system. A114 requires A02 installed first, then the oldest version I can download is A03 and that also requires A02!!!

2K Posts

October 13th, 2015 22:00

Hi mparks_21,

http://dell.to/1LKGRGF - download and run the A02 BIOS. Then update to the latest version. Then restart the system and run the diags again.

Keep us updated.

No Events found!