Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 12th, 2011 05:00

Latitude E5520 only one Ethernet LED indicator working

Recently bought Latitude E5520 with Broadcom Netxtreme 57xx gigabit controller and LAN is working ok, but when LAN cable is connected and conection is established only one LED indicator (link status - orange one) is ON and other LED indicator (activity) is always OFF, never blinks, neither when data traffic exists neither when there is no data activity on the Ethernet interface.

My question are:

Should only one LED indicator (link status) work?

Is this other LED indicator (data activity) just a fake one or it should work (blink) when data traffic exists?

I am concerned if this is an error on my machine and I would be very grateful for sharing other users experience with same machine or official dell support just to tell me if it is intended that only one LED is working and other is just a fake one? Thanks in advance!

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

The other LED is suppose to flash when there is data activity.

5 Posts

Thank you on your fast and kind response!

Are you completely sure that it is suppose to flash when there is data activity?

If other LED is supposed to flash then my machine has an error.

Uff, business line as Latitude is, completely new one.

I know that in general, one LED is for connection and other is for data activity, but I hope that maybe on that model Latitude E5520 other one is fake.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

No, there is no "fake' LED. I don't know what put that idea in your head.

Every single LAN connection is the same.

5 Posts

November 12th, 2011 06:00

I know that some ethernet controllers have only one LED just for link status and do NOT have other LED for activity, and by looking the ethernet connector on the E5520 I can see that two LEDs seems different inside one from other. So I thought that one LED is real LED that is working when connection is established and other is just a fake peace of plastic to cover a hole.

I send 2 questions to DELL support and I am not getting any response and there is nothing about ethernet LED indicators in manual.

5 Posts

November 12th, 2011 10:00

May I get some kind of official confirmation by DELL support that this is an error so I can return the laptop?

Please! I am not understanding that this is so hard to get?

5 Posts

November 13th, 2011 05:00

Anybody with same laptop just to share her/his experience?

1 Message

December 23rd, 2011 16:00

Your last desperate post drove me to peep behind my laptop

and what I've realized was two LEDs: one orange lighting constantly

and one yellow blinking during network activity.

I own Latitude E5520 i5-2410M purchased on Sep 2011.

Hence, you definitely have the problem with your network adapter,

althouhg it's minor.

(BTW I also have very serious issue with my audio.

Am lurking on for the solution)

No Events found!