Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 26th, 2016 10:00

Latitude E5570 randomly loses audio

After reading many of the posts on this forum, there obviously seems to be an issue with many Dell models and randomly dropping audio,,, with and w/o headphones.  I'm adding one more to the list, Latitude E5570.  Ordered 30 of these for school testing, (which requires audio) and the sound randomly stops working.  I called Tech Support and they weren't aware of any issues along these lines.  After reading this forum,,, there are definitely issues!!!!  Why doesn't Dell acknowledge and correct these problems?????  Does anyone actually have a fix, (besides restarting, sleep, dumb down the driver, restore)  Does Dell know the root cause?  Thanks for letting me vent. 

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

April 28th, 2016 07:00

Thanks for letting me vent. 

Hello. Venting is a good and appropriate use of this board.

Does Dell know the root cause? 

After doing this stuff as a hobby for years, I have to say that Dell is quite opaque to outsiders, so it is unlikely that other owners could say what Dell does or does not know. Even if a Dell forum moderator were to respond, I doubt that he or she would have that information.

Does anyone actually have a fix, (besides restarting, sleep, dumb down the driver, restore) 

If dumbing down the driver refers to switching to the Windows native audio driver, I often suggest doing that. Switching to the native driver is a test of the drivers. One of the problems with trying to help people through a discussion board is that I almost never have as much information as I would to have. (For that, I would need to have the computer in front of me.) So I suggest tests like that, in order to generate more facts to analyze.

Audio randomly stopping suggests to me either a hardware failure (bad batch of motherboards) or another program interfering with the audio. I would also check to see if Windows  Audio Service has stopped when the audio quits. If Audio Service shuts down, that would cause the audio to stop working even if no driver issue.

Ordered 30 of these for school testing, (which requires audio) and the sound randomly stops working.

On all 30?

After reading many of the posts on this forum, there obviously seems to be an issue with many Dell models and randomly dropping audio,

I read all of the posts on this board but can't say I have noticed the same thing -- if you mean that entire model lines have audio randomly stopping. I might have missed something because I read the posts as they come in, not as a survey of the entire board, so there might be dots I have failed to connect. If you can point to specific threads that would be helpful to me in my work.

If you mean that occasionally individual models have a problem that exhibits as audio randomly stopping, of course this is the discussion board for audio problems and just about all models will be represented here with just about any audio problem one could think of. I have noticed that the laptops that have been upgraded to Windows 10 have an unusually large representation here. We always see problems after a new Windows comes out, but nothing like the Win10 problems. However I don't recall a great number of posts about the audio randomly stopping in a given model line, even on those with Win10.

I called Tech Support

Out of curiosity, what steps did Support suggest?

No Events found!