Re: Latitude E6400, Intel Wifi Link 5300 AGN Drops Connections

To get mine working with an older (plus 3 years) Netgear router and without changing from WEP I used the last four settings given above

"From the Advanced tab of the wireless card driver, make the following changes: Power Management - Highest, Roaming Aggressiveness - Lowest, Power Saver Mode - Off. Also on the power management tab, disable power management."

AND specified "802.11b only" in the Wireless Mode setting. Perhaps the last would have been sufficient, but I think I tried that without the others and it did not work.

I should mention I got rid of the control point for the wireless software too. I am still able to use Bluetooth.

0 Kudos
wolf5808
1 Copper

This did the trick for me in Windows XP:

Control panel

Network connections

Right click on "Wireless Network Connection" and select "Properties"

Next to Intel(R) WiFi Link 5300 AGN click on "Configure".

Under Power Management, deselect or uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Under the "Advanced" tab, select Power Management, then deselect or uncheck "Use default value", then slide the arrow to "highest".

Then,  scroll down to "Roaming agressiveness" and deselect or uncheck "Use default value", then slide the arrow to "lowest".

I haven't lost my connection since making these changes whereas before, I was reconnecting every 3-5 minutes!

0 Kudos
CrackPL
1 Copper

The fix above worked for me but only after I updated my drivers to the newest ones from Intel's homepage

0 Kudos
sbgardne
1 Nickel

This was a long thread with lots of potential leads, permutations, and fixes, but this was the fix that worked for us.  Our equipment: Dell E6400, 5100 AGN.  Wireless is delivered via a Verizon FIOS WAP (g), WEP 128-bit. No Bluetooth. No driver updates from Intel.

Making the Power Management -> Highest change was enough to keep the wireless connection from constantly recycling. We made no additional changes, and WiFi connections have been rock solid since.

0 Kudos
JSylvia007
1 Nickel

So I just purchased a Studio XPS 16, which also comes with the 5300 AGN card.  I'm running Windows Vista x64 Ultimate. 

My home access point is a Linksys WAP4400N.  This is a very high-end access point.  My old XPS M1210 using a 4965AGN card had no issues (and continues to have no issues) connecting to this access point using N speeds.

My Studio XPS 16, is a completely different story.  I had my router to configured to run with B/G/N Mode, and WPA2 encryption.  I'm running the latest Intel Drivers for Vista x64.  I never actually "lose" the connection, but there is definitely something wrong.

For some reason, my laptop stays associated to the AP, but very soon after, my actual connection suffers from all sorts of errors from bandwidth issues to dropped packets, to full-out website and data transfer time-outs, which makes using the laptop wirelessly impossible.

The only change I have made is dropping the router down to B/G mode, and immediately my connection issues went away.  That being said, I still lost the benefits of using N.  This is definitely an INTEL problem, that evidently hasn't been fixed in the latest drivers.  This card is useless on N.

Any help is appreciated if anyone out there is running a setup like mine!

0 Kudos
herrclaus
1 Copper

To cut this discussion: as I earlier described, I had the same problems. Last week, I upgraded to Windows7 x64 ultimate. Problems with the Intel card even seemed to get worse. On Wednesday, i called the DELL support for a new Intel WLAN card, which was in my postbox on Thursday (!). Changed it - works! (on all three wireless routers, I have).

So my conclusion: it is a hardware problem. Change your cards!

Regards

Claus

0 Kudos
TimTong
1 Copper

PROBLEM SOLVED.  In my case, I have Netgear Router WNR2000 .  It used to work fine with WEP but I changed the security to WPA to be more secure.  That's when I started having problems with the Intel 5300 connection.  It would disconnect me everything 15 secs or so.  Then it would reconnect.  If the connection was strong, then it may stay up a little longer.  At first, I thought it was Control Point.  Dell Service helped me to remove it.   But I was still getting disconnected.  By the way, I have the latest intel drivers.  Changing to use maximum performance on the battery power did not help.  So I went to the router configuration and there was a setting that allow for combination of both WPA and WPA2.  I used that and left the password intact.  So all my other laptops (having non-intel wireless card) still worked.   

0 Kudos
Frogbus.com
1 Copper

Hi

I'm having similar problems to those desribed with a 5100 intel wifi card in a latitude 4300. The only reliable connection I can get is right next to the router, otherwise the connection drops and I can't reconnect.

I've tried adjusting the power management button as suggested on this thread and updating drivers/frimware etc but nothing is working.

Can anyone suggest a definite fix? I've spent at least 2 hours on to Dell support who are doing their best to tell me that are no known issues......they obviuosly don't read their community forums...

Thanks

herrclaus
1 Copper

It realy seems to be an "Intel with Dell" problem. I had my Wifi card changed by Dell support. Same configuration. But the drop out behavior seems to be different. But full performance could only be achieved when disabling the bluetooth adapter.

But I have two similar notebooks (exactly the same configuration) in my office which have no porblems at all with its wifi connection...

Regards 

0 Kudos
RC_L
1 Copper

I have a Dell E6400 running Win XP with the Intel 5100 card.  I was having the same problem with the wireless card.  I could get connected but within 10 minutes my connection would drop.  I was able to fix the problem but going to Dell's website and downloading the lastest driver (v13.0.0.107).  Here is the link:

0 Kudos