Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 22nd, 2009 18:00

Latitude E6400 LED display problem

I have just received my E6400. I am having this issue which happsns sometimes. The computer has a WXGA+, LED backlit display. I  have VISTA Business installed. The problem is that the LED display shows uneven distribution of backlight from the bottom of the screen. Please see the pictures.

http://i40.tinypic.com/10zwgw4.jpg

http://i42.tinypic.com/mrsacp.jpg

The thing is that this happens only when it wakes up from the sleep or hibernation mode. I restart the system, it does not happen. When this does happen, the screen completees turns to white, shows some lines for a second or two. I do not know what the problem is...Graphics card (dedicated NDIVIDA?). I do not think this is a hardware problem because the screen is, otherfwise, fine.

I hope to find the solution here!

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 22nd, 2009 18:00

Since it's brand-new, I would not bother  troubleshooting - request a replacement system.

2 Posts

February 16th, 2010 11:00

To clarify: my screen looks exactly like the images posted by the OP, but it is not an intermittent problem happening only after wake-from-sleep.  It's a permanent feature of the display.  The system is dual-boot, sometimes running Windows 7 and sometimes Ubuntu, and the screen looks the same with either OS.

2 Posts

February 16th, 2010 11:00

I'm curious what the resolution was on this.  I have a brand-new e6500 with exactly the same problem.

1 Message

February 21st, 2012 08:00

This is an inverter issue and it needs to be replaced.

3 Posts

August 4th, 2012 09:00

I am curious if these issues were ever resolved.  I have an e6400 that is out of warranty and the LED backlight has completely failed.  I am able to see a ghost image on the screen when illuminated by an outside light source such as a flashlight, but there is no backlight. Display is normal when connected to an external monitor, and I have attempted all software fixes such as adjusting brightness and disabling ambient light sensor.  I have also updated the BIOS with no results.

I was told I would need a new display, but I would like to know if there is another potential cause such as an inverter or a fuse before I order an entire new display.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 4th, 2012 10:00

LED backlights don't use inverters - they use a converter board, which may or may not (usually isn't ) separately replaceable.  

3 Posts

August 7th, 2012 09:00

Thank you for the reply, you got at the root of my question.  I am aware of a converter for the LED backlights, but I am questioning whether it is possible to replace just the converter, or if there is some other element, such as a wire harness or fuse, that could have caused my LED backlight to fail.

I would like to avoid ordering a pile of replacement parts that I don't need

No Events found!