Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 10th, 2015 09:00

Latitude E6410 SSD bios problem

I have a big problem with the E6410 and Kingston SSD drive.
When you turn on the laptop, he normally recognize and boot the system, but when the windows go to restart the HD indicator lights up and the BIOS does not recognize the drive.
This is definitely a problem BIOS.
Does anyone have any idea how to solve this problem?

2 Posts

May 6th, 2015 15:00

All,

We did find the fix to this problem. There is a known issue with the latest firmware that Kingston released. You need to downgrade the firmware on the drive to a older version. We opened a support case with Kingston and they provided a zip file with instructions and how to apply. 

I hope this helps.

1.8K Posts

March 16th, 2015 14:00

Hello,

I would recommend that you go to the FAQ section of these notebook boards and follow the link for what to do if your system won't start up.  it will provide you with articles and troubleshooting steps to help determine what the root cause is for the problem you're seeing.

You may also want to check out the product support pages for the E6410.   It has information on how to run diagnostics on the system, download new drivers (if needed), and contains the manuals for that model.  

That should help you try to find out what the cause is of your problem, and hopefully resolve it.  Please stop back and let us know if any of this helps, and if not we'll see what else we can do to help you out.

Todd

5 Posts

March 18th, 2015 13:00

Hello

This is a BIOS problem and has nothing to do with drivers or OS. I have the latest BIOS installed.

5 Posts

March 19th, 2015 14:00

When I turn on laptop, bios found disk and boot Windows. And this is ok. Then I start Windows update, download and install updates and Windows restart (reboot). After that bios not recognize SSD and after minute show "no boot disk". Then I power down laptop, and when I turn on everything work normal.

So, restart, reboot, NOT work.

During reboot HDD led light is always on, and after that no SSD...

I hope you understand now.

Thank's  

1.8K Posts

March 19th, 2015 14:00

Hello,

If you have the latest BIOS installed, and it's working normally (i.e. recognizes other devices, etc.) then does the BIOS recognize other drives if installed?

You mentioned in your original post "When you turn on the laptop, he normally recognize and boot the system but when the windows go to restart".  Do you mean that on a fresh start it it *does* recognize the HDD but its only not recognized when you restart Windows?

I just want to make sure I am understanding your issue correctly.

Todd

2 Posts

March 22nd, 2015 21:00

I had the same problem with some Kingston V300 120GB SSD's and E6410's with the latest BIOS. I solved this issue by first formatting the SSD's with a USB Drive Dock, then installed them into the E6410's, then installed the OS, boots and reboot every time with no more issues. Also, if the drive seems loose because it's thinner than the slot, stick on the plastic spacer that comes with the SSD, to prevent it from moving and to ensure your drive is properly connected.

Hope this helps.

5 Posts

March 23rd, 2015 02:00

I formated and instalate drive with no problem. Also stick the plastic spacer. And if I restart system no boot device.

2 Posts

March 25th, 2015 03:00

I have the same problem. I bought a Kingston V300 SSD and fitted it to a E6410 laptop. I formatted it from within the laptop and installed Windows on it.

To confirm, when the system is started after a cold boot, the BIOS sees the SSD and allows Windows to start. When the system is rebooted (i.e. a warm reboot) the BIOS cannot find  the SSD and the OS does not start. To boot the laptop I have to turn the power off and on again.

Beefybear, can you confirm that your laptop boots properly after a warm restart? I want to be sure before removing and reformatting the SSD.

Thanks!

1.8K Posts

March 25th, 2015 10:00

Hi,

I found this link doing a google search.   Have you tried it?

Todd

5 Posts

March 25th, 2015 11:00

Hi

No because my problem is something different. My BIOS found SSD on bootup. Problem is restart...

2 Posts

March 25th, 2015 16:00

Controlcb,

So far I've set up 5 E6410's with Kingston V300 120GB SSD's, and the only SSD that is giving me the rebooting issue is the only one that I formatted and installed the OS directly after fitting it into the E6410.

The other SSD's that were initialized & formatted using Disk Management in the Computer Management console connected to my laptop via a USB Drive Dock before installing the hardware into the E6410, then installed WIn7, are working as they should and have no issues at all, including the rebooting issue.

I've tried re-installing the OS from both a Dell recovery DVD and an image I created on that uncooperative SSD with no luck. 

I'm in the middle of attempting some other ideas I have that might correct the no-reboot issue, and I will update as soon as my results are in.... I hope to have some kind of answer by either later tonight or tomorrow.

Regards

2 Posts

April 18th, 2015 12:00

I think I have the exact same problem. I connected Kingston V300 120GB SSD in to the E6410. Bios recognized it, an installation of Windows 7 started from DVD. During the installation computer reboots, and then bios cannot see SSD anymore. So the installation will not continue. If I turn of the computer and start it again, the drive is back. But I am not able to continue installation.

I tried formatting the SSD with external usb dock, but it did not help. Any ideas how to proceed?

2 Posts

April 27th, 2015 01:00

BeefyBear,

Did you find any sollution on this?

2 Posts

May 4th, 2015 13:00

Hello,

We are experiencing the same issues. This is a recent change with the v300s. We have had the issue with all deployments (E6410 and E5530/5540 systems). 

Our department thinks that the issues are traced back to a new driver that was deployed. We don't know if its a Kingston driver for their new controller or if it is a chipset driver that dell deployed. We are going to be producing a new image with the latest drivers to see if that resolves the issues when we re-image the computers.

I will say that clearing the CMOS  and updating to the latest BIOS seems to help resolve the problem, but if a user BSOD's then they will get the no boot device error since it is a 'warm' reboot.

2 Posts

May 14th, 2015 08:00

Thanks,solute! I contacted Kingston tech support, linked them to this thread, and got the firmware downgrade. This solved the problem.

No Events found!