Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 14th, 2014 17:00

Latitude E6410 cursor moving by itself

I have a Latitude E6410 with one odd issue- the cursor moves by itself, normally to the lower left hand corner of the screen, but not always. It doesn't seem to matter whether I'm using the touchpad or external mouse. It's pretty much always done this, but seems to be a little worse as of late. I just tried updating the latest version of the Alps software and the issue has persisted. Any ideas?

140 Posts

May 10th, 2014 10:00

Did you ever get to the bottom of your issues with the wandering cursor. I have a bad problem with that. I removed the battery, put back in. Changed power supplys, went into touchpad properties and disabled the pointstick, turned off scrolling, pinch zoom, desensitized it and I don't have any problems now. I don't know which one of these items actually fixed it. There is a video of guy having issues with his at this address. Copy and paste this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88zNZz6WugM&feature=em-share_video_user He would have the issue when he hit the left side of his touchpad on the plastic. So maybe there is some touching of metal there. Anyhow mine seems to be working ok now. I have tried to make it wander again and I have not been able to duplicate the problem so maybe it will not happen again. What happen to yours?

5 Posts

May 17th, 2014 19:00

No luck here fixing it so far. I watched the video and found that mine does the same- if I put pressure on the case to the left of the touchpad, the cursor starts wandering again. I have also tried lots of settings changes but can't find anything to get rid of it.

140 Posts

May 18th, 2014 10:00

I will only tell you to do what I read somewhere. You pull up the keyboard and put some antistatic bag under the area where you may be getting a short. Taking the keyboard up is a cinch too because there no wires like the C series. Just pop up the bezel, take out three screws or four. The keyboard will just pull up towards the monitor and will come out of an electrical slot at the bottom of it underneath the space bar. Then lay down your antistatic on the left and maybe the right while you are in there. Double up the bag so it is thicker. Anyhow try that an see what happens. I can't remember where I read about this though.

1 Message

July 15th, 2016 02:00

I had the exact same problem: randomly moving cursor from/to lower left to upper right, somewhat influenced by putting pressure on the case around the touchpad. It turns out it's not because of the touchpad, but the trackpoint (the little stick on the center of the keyboard). These are two different mouse devices that controls the pointer at the same time. I just disabled the trackpoint and the cursor stopped moving around. The touchpad still works, but not trackpoint. I don't use it anyway.

On my OS (Linux), I disabled the trackpoint using the command

xinput set-prop "AlpsPS/2 ALPS DualPoint Stick" "Device Enabled" 0

(see this answer). For other OSes, you want to google how to disable a particular mouse device.

1 Message

August 23rd, 2016 20:00

I solved this by placing a piece of clear tape over the track stick connector on the keyboard. The stick connector is the brown one with four black connection points on it. After disabling the track stick and covering the connection points with tape the cursor does not seem to move anymore. Photos are attached.

No Events found!