Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 10th, 2016 21:00

Latitude E6410 doesn't wake up from sleep

I recently got a used E6410 for my wife. I installed Windows 7 on it. All is well except that it won't wake up from sleep. When she's done with it, she has to remember to do a shutdown or hybernate. If she simply closes the lid, putting it to sleep, it never wakes up, and she has to pull the battery to get it going again.

Any suggestions?

9 Posts

January 11th, 2016 07:00

I've had a similar problem with my Latitude E6510 (running Win 7 x64). Tried a bunch of suggestions and solved it ... I think.

My theory was that the computer was having trouble restarting hard drives from sleep -- internal and/or external (at home, I use several hard drives through a Dell dock; at work I don't use any except the internal).

So I went to power options/advanced settings and for sleep mode/plugged in changed the "when to shut down hard drives" option to Never. (I left the default setting -- 10 mins I think -- for battery mode.) That was a week ago and so far so good (vs problem ocurring almost every time upon awakening from sleep previously).

The previous poster's advice re re-installing Dell drivers is probably a good one, but it didn't seem to work for me (I had recently done a clean Win 7 re-install). In fact, my next troubleshoot is to try to figure out why the video driver crashes periodically (whether the recommended Dell driver or a newer one from the board manufacturer.)

Good luck.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 11th, 2016 06:00

9 Posts

PS: Re having to remove the battery to shut down: Set your power options so that pressing the power button (when plugged in) shuts down the computer. To do so will require holding down the power button for 3-5 seconds; just tapping it (as to wake the computer from sleep) won't shut it down. However, it's still a forced shutdown (not desirable) -- same as pulling the battery.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

The previous poster's advice re re-installing Dell drivers is probably a good one,

The installation of drivers in proper order following Windows install is a MUST.

No Events found!