Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2010 16:00

Latitude E6410 resume from S3 Suspend (on batteries)

Latitude E6410 (Intel i7) fails to resume (total system freeze within first 3 seconds) from S3 Sleep (STR) when resumed running on battery power. Sometimes first resume cycle passes and problem occurs  during 2nd or 3rd suspend/resume cycle.  When the laptop is running on AC-power the resume works 100% correctly.

This issue disappears when SpeedStep is disabled in BIOS.

It seems like a BIOS bug (tested with rev. A05)

OS:  Linux 2.6.35 and 2.6.36 x64, Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

10 Posts

November 8th, 2010 09:00

No webcam on mine.

10 Posts

I did try disabling Speed Step and with respect to the waking from suspend, it has been very successful.  I poked around the web to see what long-term result of doing this might be and there appeared to be some confusion among users.  I eventually determined that when disabled, processor speed is always maximum, which would tend to generate additional heat with reduced battery performance.

OTOH, your suggestion did improve the standby situation.  After twelve hours of idling, battery is at 93%.  So nothing untoward seemed to happen overnight.

What I was getting at in a previous post, when I mentioned the graphics card, I was trying to inquire if you knew whether or not a different m/b was used when the nVidia adapter is installed vs. the native intel adapter.  I had originally ordered an e6410-ATG, which had purported to have an ExpressCard Slot.  I had to return it when Dell told me their website was wrong and it could not be configured with an ExpressCard Slot.

When I learned the proper method of ordering the EC slot, I discovered that you had to order the nVidia adapter with the ec slot at the time you ordered the machine because it could not be retrofitted after the fact.  When my machine dies, my HD activity LED continues to flicker.  Additionally, the Fn-F4 (num-lock) light will still toggle on and off.  This suggested to me that it was possible that the machine was still active, but the the display was simply disabled.

I will concede that I have no way to determine this and your experience with troubleshooting has been much more extensive.

3 Posts

Do these E6410's have the built in webcam? We had a similar issue with the E4300 and a particular webcam driver that would cause a very similar issue. Try removing the webcam drivers or updating them and see if that resolves the issue.

22 Posts

Yes, it has. I disabled webcam in BIOS and removed the driver. No improvement.

22 Posts

November 8th, 2010 10:00

10 Posts

November 8th, 2010 18:00

Herroux,

I wanted to make sure I had all of the symptoms right and it has taken a while for the sleep-hibernation transition to occur.  And occasionally some inconsistent, intermittent behavior appears.

But I want to confirm that in addition to being able to see a flickering blue LED (indicating HD activity) my Fn-F4 button does indeed toggle, as I'd previously indicated and likewise, does the scroll lock LED.  Even though the display is not on, my backlit keyboard lights up when keys are struck and then times out gracefully within a few seconds.  And I can press the Fn-F1 button, which then puts it back into sleep--and one minute later, the machine switches over to hibernation, according to what I had previously set in Win7 Power Management for this test.

My problem is that after the Resuming Windows animation, when I should be pressing ctrl-alt-del to enter my password in order to log onto Windows, suddenly the LCD backlight blanks.  In general, I had found nothing to restore the unit and wake it up short of pressing the power button for six or eight seconds and restarting Windows.

But this is still intermittent.  Just now, for example, my machine went to sleep and then continued on to hibernation after one minute.  But this time, when I pressed the power button, the Dell Latitude Series with BIOS A06 appeared on the screen, followed by a brief a blank, and then the Resuming Windows.   Instead of blanking for good, as it most often does, it blanked for two or three seconds and then produced my Login Screen.  So I was able to login after all this time.

I had tried to induce the problem condition earlier in the day, after resetting my Speed Step option to on, but it appears that there must be something else going on because the one minute wait didn't do the trick.  I waited for ten minutes, and then an hour or so, but I didn't experience the problem.  It was only after a period of several hours, that the problem came back.

This same intermittent condition had led me to believe earlier that defeating S3 and choosing S4 instead had produced a decent workaround.  But after several hours, I discovered that the problem would return.  I still believe that you and I have a similar problem, but at this point, I still think it may be related to the video card, especially after I looked at the some of the other posts by wtemple, who recently joined this discussion, and which led me to look at other problems with this display adapter.  But I can't prove any of that based on my experience.

I will say that I did not observe these problems over the two or three week period during which I owned the E6410-ATG, which had the same processor and memory, but instead had the Intel chipset.  I had hoped that the nVidia was a step up from the integrated display adapter, and in the long run, it may turn out that it is, but at the present time, I can't say one way or another.

I suspect you may have a different interpretation of the information I have tried to bring to light this time, and I will be glad to hear your insight, but it's getting late now.  About 9:00 EST, so I'm about to head home for the night.  I'm not sure of your location so I don't know if I should wish you good evening or good day, but so long for now.

And thanks,

Chip

22 Posts

November 9th, 2010 01:00

Was I so blind to not realize your comments were not meant seriously from the very start?  :-(

I'm sad that thanks to your contribution this thread has turned into a mock. People usually don't intervene in discussions which they're not interested in, unless they're malicious, why would you? I wouldn't judge a 100 channel TV owner putting a significant effort to fix noise present just on channel 23, because it's their favourite, even though the rest of channels were brilliant quality. Be tolerant with people and their priorities, they will be tolerant with yours.

10 Posts

November 9th, 2010 05:00

I don't know what to say.  I don't possess the same skill set that you do, and suspect that I'm of a different generation.  When I saw that the symptoms you described were similar to what I'd been experiencing, I had hoped to gain from your insight.  I did not capriciously jump into this discussion, but I sincerely wanted to contribute and get your feedback.  I followed your suggestions  to the best of my ability, and had had even learned some things from the experience   I admired your ability and had nothing but respect for your comments.  I invested my time to respond as carefully and thoroughly as I could.  I was not trying to turn the thread into a mock.

I had hoped that your guidance would help me find an answer to the problem and that I might even be able to help you gain insight.  Obviously, I didn't expect this turn.

Now I feel ashamed, embarrassed and humiliated.  Don't worry.  I'm done.  This was my first  foray into this, or any, such community.  Clearly, I have no business here.  From now on, I'm back to being an observer.

I'm sorry that you feel I've been wasting your time and I can assure you that had no malicious intent.  Perhaps someone smarter than I will be able to help you resolve your issues.

1 Message

November 14th, 2010 08:00

Macrochip don't go!  Sorry that Herroux is being kind of a jerk.  I have been reading through this because I have a new E6410 (4GB RAM, CPU 2.53) that hangs on resume while on A/C.  Haven't tried battery yet but will soon.  I have lots more testing to do but this thread has been good!  It's given me lots to think about and test.  Please hang in there and disregard any stupid comments about this being a mock.

10 Posts

November 15th, 2010 16:00

Nope.  Can't stay.  This is Herroux' thread.  He started it and deserves answers from folks who may be in better a position to help.  It is best for me to retire from his thread.  I hope that Herroux may eventually resolve his issues and post a solution that will be helpful to others.  I would like to state that I believe this problem is significant but that I don't want to interfere with the process.

My machine has already locked up on two separate occasions today so clearly, I'm still searching.  If I happen to stumble on a solution elsewhere, out of courtesy, I will open a separate thread of my own. 

Before leaving, I will comment that I find it interesting that your machine is different from mine, and the other two, in that it has 4GB of RAM and the 2.53 CPU, and yet it still hangs.

Best of luck.

3 Posts

December 10th, 2010 18:00

Just upgraded to the A.06 BIOS and this problem did not get resolved. Kinda disappointed :emotion-6:

6 Posts

March 28th, 2011 14:00

DELL, PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE

Lots of people have it.  We should not be beta testers, our laptops should just work.

6 Posts

May 16th, 2011 13:00

I still have this problem more often than not.  The laptop will take forever to go to sleep, or forever to turn on.  Sometimes the bios screen shows, sometimes nothing ever shows, sometimes everything works but it takes several minutes.  This is on a very fast laptop so it makes no sense.  once the login screen shows up (if ever) it is fast again.

I think moving to bios A07 will help, but alas A07 will not install on my machine (no error given).  Dell can't seem to figure out how to help me with it.  Their techs don't even call me back.

1 Message

Thanks for these tips, Zach. 

6 Posts

HolyOne,

To work around the laptop getting hotter than hades issue there are a couple things you can do.

disable hibernation in windows.  Your laptop will wake up eventually to put itself in hibernation.

disable waking from standbye in the bios.  Not 100% the Dell bios allows us to set this.

make sure you are aware of when your computer does a backup (if any) and have it out of the bag when that time would occur. 

That should take care of the problem most of the time. 

No Events found!