Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2010 16:00

Latitude E6410 resume from S3 Suspend (on batteries)

Latitude E6410 (Intel i7) fails to resume (total system freeze within first 3 seconds) from S3 Sleep (STR) when resumed running on battery power. Sometimes first resume cycle passes and problem occurs  during 2nd or 3rd suspend/resume cycle.  When the laptop is running on AC-power the resume works 100% correctly.

This issue disappears when SpeedStep is disabled in BIOS.

It seems like a BIOS bug (tested with rev. A05)

OS:  Linux 2.6.35 and 2.6.36 x64, Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

October 5th, 2011 13:00

I got this problem on a Dell Latitude E6400 and found a Vista solution to restore Hibernation but another issue involved a Disk Cleanup setting where it was enabled to perform the disk cleanup while in standby.  Apparently, the roots of this feature were in Win XP because THAT was my problem.

Fix it!

Go to START > Program Files > Accessories > Disk Cleanup

Uncheck everything.

Close Disk Cleanup and re-open it, verify everything is still unchecked.

Close Disk Cleanup.

Close the lid.

Normal sleep / standby mode should result.

In Vista, you should be able to disable Disk Cleanup in standby, but i have XP, so I cannot verify this.

Re-enabling hibernation was a resolution for Vista.  Might be for XP too, but I wouldn't be able to tell you how.

4 Posts

December 8th, 2011 07:00

So is the final solution / work around turning off Speed Step in the bios?

14 Posts

January 9th, 2012 01:00

Is the final solution to turn off speed step???

Bumping this post as I am running A11 Bios and still have issues.

January 9th, 2012 07:00

test yourself and see

January 9th, 2012 14:00

As a fellow Dell user, I understand your frustration, believe me!  Last Dell laptop, believe me.

if you say so.  

Legacy BIOS and Windows are bed partners.  EFI might be a different story, but we don't have that in this screnario do we?

I'm not proposing a FIX, I'm proposing a workaround.

22 Posts

Though turning off speed-step enables the laptop to always successfully resume, it is an inefficient workaround. E6410 and/or it's BIOS is deffective by design and Dell apparently does not care.

22 Posts

This simply can't work. The prob has nothing to do with a particular of OS or HDD utilization/fragmentation or whatever similar.

14 Posts

January 9th, 2012 18:00

en.community.dell.com/.../19774660.aspx (Windows & Linux)

bugs.launchpad.net/.../578673 (Linux)

markmail.org/.../ze6nh46wdnijyhvn (Linux

Seems to be the i7 620M and speedstep.

14 Posts

en.community.dell.com/.../19774660.aspx

bugs.launchpad.net/.../578673

markmail.org/.../ze6nh46wdnijyhvn

Well,

From all I have read I haven't seen too many people with anything lower than an i7 620M but I have seen someone complaining about it with an i7 640M as well.

first link is invalid, so is the 2nd one.

i have the issue with the i7 640m.  I doubt it is CPU-specific

14 Posts

Does anyone have a case number for the issue with Dell for the BIOS defect? Has anyone had the CPU replaced by dell with an i5 and tested?

January 20th, 2012 16:00

I'll start off by saying I think I've found a solution.  TL;DR below.  Here's my system:

Latitude E6410

Intel® Core™ i7 CPU M 620 @ 2.67GHz × 4

NVS 3100M/PCI/SSE2

Dual Boot: Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit, Win 7 64bit

Webcam

I've been suffering with this issue for too long.  Ever since I put Ubuntu on my e6410 it hasn't been able to reliably resume from being suspended (lid close), mostly problematic while on the battery.  Today I decided to search the net again for a solution, just like I have been every month or two.  Found this thread and and tried a few things mentioned but nothing solved the problem. Over the last year and half I've tried a lot suggestions. None worked.  I waited for updates from Nvidia, Ubuntu, Dell... no updates worked. Just today I tried these, some for the first time, some once again since I have installed some updates.

1. Upgraded my BIOS from A06 to A09.  Still not able to resume.  I don't have any hopes that A10 will help since someone else mentioned it didn't help them.

2. Turned off SpeedStep in BIOS.  Still could not resume from suspended (lid close).

3. Turned off SpeedStep and TurboBoost.  Still could not resume from suspended (lid close).

4. Changed Lid Close from Suspend to Hibernate (for both AC and Battery).  I don't like this workaround.

Then I noticed something that I didn't before.  If I hit the power button it prompts me asking if I want to Suspend, Hibernate, Restart or Shutdown.  So I click Suspend and the machine goes to sleep.  Leaving the lid open, I hit the power button again and the machine resumes as it should!  Crazy, right? So I dug deeper and soon I fixed it... at least so far so good.

TL;DR  Here's what I did to map the sleep event to the lid close event.

$ sudo cp /etc/acpi/lid.sh /etc/acpi/lid.sh.bak

$ sudo rm /etc/acpi/lid.sh

$ sudo cp /etc/acpi/sleepbtn.sh /etc/acpi/lid.sh

So maybe the Ubuntu guys needs to take a look at the lid.sh and related scripts because that seems to be where the problem is IMHO.  Spread the word.

22 Posts

January 20th, 2012 16:00

Most probably your're  talking about a different issue with your particular Linux distro.

Originally this thread describes a confirmed HW/BIOS flaw of Latitude E6410.

Tested on 3 different E6410s running both Windows and Linux kernel. So no, it is not a problem of Ubuntu or Linux based OSes but of the E6410 running any OS.

By replacing lid close handling script with sleep button handling script you may have fixed something in your system or particular installation. If your machine fails to resume occassionally running on battery power, it is confirmed that turning off speed-step in BIOS setup does fix it.

2 Posts

February 22nd, 2012 02:00

Herroux, I also have this problem. Started happening a few months ago, and unfortunately I can't pinpoint any particular change that might indicate a regression. System is a well spec'd E6410: i7 M620, 8GB RAM, Nvidia 3100M, 256GB Samsung PM800 SSD, +webcam, +backlit keyboard, +Dell Wireless 5540 HSPA modem, running Win7 Pro 64.

I've tried BIOS A10 and A11, no help. Haven't yet tried disabling SpeedStep, it might work but it is simply not an acceptable solution for me. I will test it out to confirm the effect though...

What seems to work (no issues for a few days now) for me is selecting a different power profile. I normally use the "Dell" profile, but have found that using the "Extended Battery Life" profile seems to stop the freeze up on resume. I haven't yet had a good look in the options to figure out what the key configuration might be. Especially interesting is that if I suspend whilst on battery then go to AC and resume, I get the freeze. Will test further and report back.

Oh, and I should mention that I have Dell Pro-Support. I intend to make them sort this out, even if it means giving me a whole new machine (all data intact)...

No Events found!