Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 31st, 2011 20:00

Latitude E6420: Add Bluetooth card?

I have a Latitude E6420 that came without a Bluetooth card. Is it possible to add the Dell TrueMobile 375 Bluetooth module to this machine? I looked in the Service Manual for the 6420 but it did not show where the Bluetooh moduel cable the plugged into the motherboard. In fact, I opened the case and found the slot where the Bluetooth module would be mounted but did not see a place to plug in the cable.

Thanks in advance for any help or feedback.

3.8K Posts

November 1st, 2011 05:00

Hi Wm_F_Bailey,

Welcome to the Community. Yes the Latitude E6420 systems went with the Dell 375 Bluetooth card, so that should work. Refer to the below link and refer to the 3rd image on the link, that should give a some idea as to where the cable will go.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Thank you

Royan

15 Posts

December 14th, 2011 19:00

Thanks for the reply. The image which you referenced doesn't show the other end of the Bluetooth cable so I have no idea where it goes or how to access the connector. I have had the machine apart several times now and for the life of me can't find a place to plug in the cable. Do I need to remove other parts (e.g., the metal enclosure around the hard drive) in order to access the cable socket?

Thanks for any additional help or guidance.

Bill

3 Posts

January 19th, 2012 18:00

Did you ever figure out where to plug the cable in to the motherboard?  How much did you have to take apart to get to that point?  Thanks in advance for any answer...

3 Posts

January 19th, 2012 19:00

Just figured it out... You've got to take everything apart down to removing the palm rest, then it's easy to find the connector to plug the cable in and reassemble everything.  Quite a pain - I recommend buying the bluetooth module when purchasing the computer as opposed to after market!

21 Posts

September 22nd, 2014 14:00

I got a 380 module for my E6420 which originally did not ship with a bluetooth radio. Is the 380 compatible with the E6420? I installed the module, but it does not show in the System Summary part of the BIOS much less the Windows Device Manager. I have updated the BIOS to the latest revision. Thanks.

3 Posts

January 20th, 2015 00:00

Good day...

You would not perhaps have a photo of the location of the bluetooth positioning. I have the 375 module (no cable) and have no idea where or how to install it. Have also had the laptop in pieces..

Thank you for your post!

3 Posts

January 20th, 2015 04:00

Unforutnately, I don't have a photo and am not willing to take the laptop completely apart again to get one, sorry!  However, you might go here and download the checkout the 'Service Manual':

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/latitude-e6420/manuals

There are instructions in there on how to install the Bluetooth card which should get the card physically seated.  Then, as I remember, there is a cable that needs to be attached - I believe my Bluetooth card came with the cable, and that was something I read you need to order so I specifically looked for a product on eBay that included the cable when I got the card.  If you don't have the cable, you might need to return the component and get a card that DOES come with a cable (although I honestly don't remember), here's a listing on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-E4310-E6410-E6510-Truemobile-375-G9M5X-Bluetooth-Module-with-YKMT7-Cable-/291355987455?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item43d62b8dff

If you look further down in the manual to the instructions for, say, 'Smart Card Reader' it will show you how to take the laptop apart down to the 'Palmrest Assembly'.  Once that is done, there is a connector that perfectly fits the Bluetooth cable and that should be where you plug it in.  Good luck!

21 Posts

January 20th, 2015 09:00

I found the online manual created by Parts-People.com helpful including their YouTube video for motherboard replacement. However, it still doesn't specifically mention the Bluetooth. The Bluetooth actually screws into the underside of the palmrest, so the main things to do are to remove the bottom cover, remove the keyboard, and then remove the palmrest. On the left hand side of the trackpad is the screw-in spot for the Bluetooth whose other end tucks into a plastic bit protruding from the palmrest toward its front edge. Then as you are positioning the palmrest to re-attach it, connect the Bluetooth to the connector on the motherboard that is right under where the palmrest will be when it is attached. Then put it all together and it should work. On their video if you pause it at about 5:58 you can see the screw-in point to the left of the trackpad along with the U shape rest/spacer and bar shape holder for the card.

http://blog.parts-people.com/2012/10/22/dell-latitude-e6420-motherboard-removal-and-installat

3 Posts

January 25th, 2016 12:00

I know this is an old thread, but for anyone who comes this way:

Another way is to pull the 7 bottom cover screws, and the 4 hard drive screws.  Remove bottom cover, pull hard drive out the side, and the blue tooth connector and mounting screw hole will be visible (hidden by hard drive if one forgets to pull the hard drive out).

No Events found!